Your thoughts on IMAX?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
CosmicMonkey
162 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Your thoughts on IMAX?

Post by CosmicMonkey »

90sCoffee wrote:
CosmicMonkey wrote:music too loud that it actually pulls me out of the immersion of the movie theatre

Yeah you should probably be wearing concert earplugs to regular movies let alone Imax ones. Regular movies frequently go well above 80 dB and these things are usually 2 hours long plus trailers which are always extremely action-packed and loud. They've also measured that movie theatres reach volumes upwards of 100 dB at times and I'm not even sure that they were measuring for Imax specifically.

Obviously, you won't damage your hearing by seeing a movie once in a while but why take the risk of even damaging it a little when you can get concert earplugs for around $10-30 and still hear the movie perfectly clearly at a good volume.

This is actually a really solid suggestion, thanks, I actually think I will try it out next time I go to the movies.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

zevel6 wrote:
livelove wrote:How does the end result differ in practice ?
the difference is pretty obvious if you watch them side by side.
lol, your saying "it's obvious" doesn't answer in what way the difference manifests itself

Why not getting a bit technical and also describe the real-world implications of the technical stuff ?
That would be really interesting.

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mentaculus
105 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

90sCoffee wrote:
CosmicMonkey wrote:music too loud that it actually pulls me out of the immersion of the movie theatre

Yeah you should probably be wearing concert earplugs to regular movies let alone Imax ones. Regular movies frequently go well above 80 dB and these things are usually 2 hours long plus trailers which are always extremely action-packed and loud. They've also measured that movie theatres reach volumes upwards of 100 dB at times and I'm not even sure that they were measuring for Imax specifically.

Obviously, you won't damage your hearing by seeing a movie once in a while but why take the risk of even damaging it a little when you can get concert earplugs for around $10-30 and still hear the movie perfectly clearly at a good volume.

Yeah my wife rarely accompanies me to movies anymore because the standard 80-100 dB can actually damage her ears (and she's a singer, so it could actually damage her livelihood. Try telling that to distributors). She wears earplugs when we go.

Back to point... does IMAX effect how immersed I become in a movie? No. There's an ideal setting/sitting for me - somewhere between my home theater 55" about 7 feet back, and a regular theater screen. Sometimes, I have to agree with others here that the bombast of the too-loud and too-big takes me out of the film, even if it's meant to be a spectacle.

Velvet Crowe
1139 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

IMAX is a weird thing for me because I usually find it to be trivial but there are occasions where it actually enhanced the quality of the film for me. For example, while I didn't like Dunkirk I thought IMAX made the use of sound in that movie feel more intense and gave a feeling of actually being in a warzone. The problem I have with most IMAX movies is that they don't utilize sound in an interesting way and it often feels like it's kind of just... there. IMAX has potential if directors are cognizant of it, but often times it's not considered (and for good reason).