(very) old movies

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
gabba2k7
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

(very) old movies

Post by gabba2k7 »

i cannot watch old movies. my system requirements: at least 80ies

is there something wrong with me?

Bartbaard
Ratings

Re: (very) old movies

Post by Bartbaard »

Not at all.

Although I would like to say you should give them a chance. There truly are some gems among those old ones.

In general old movies feel quite long and slow paced. Maybe that is what throws you off?

If so, maybe you'd like To Be or Not To Be (1942) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035446/?ref_=nv_sr_1 it's fast paced and very funny. Or maybe something more actioney Scarface (1932) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023427/?ref_=nv_sr_2.

VinegarBob
30 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

gabba2k7 wrote:i cannot watch old movies. my system requirements: at least 80ies

So no Godfather, Jaws, Alien, 2001 A Space Odyssey, The Good The Bad & The Ugly, Taxi Driver etc etc - not to mention hundreds of the best foreign movies ever made - for you then? Well, okay. If you're sure... :?

gabba2k7
0 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

alien 1979. so in that case you were trying to catch me on 'technicality' ;] ...but yeah, all other movies are def in not my must-see list. it is as if i cannot physically watch em

fra paolo
0 Ratings

Post by fra paolo »

The fact that anything pre-1980s apparently counts as "(very) old" makes me "(very) old"!

I thought this was going to be about early silents.

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

fra paolo wrote:I thought this was going to be about early silents.

Same here. I'll take "old" as pre-1980 but I assumed "very old" must mean pre-code.

Gabba, are you looking for suggestions? Do you have general interest in this seriously vast domain of films you're not seeing but can't find entry?

Or have you tried and you really, really don't like them and your post is as simple as that -- wondering if it's ok for your taste to be your taste?

I'm not "very old" yet, but I grew up with an interest in old movies. I can see where they are slower, quieter and to our eyes now alot of them seem less visually daring. If you're looking for a way in, I can't pinpoint any single movie but would suggest that if you have an actor you like who you can follow past that 1989 threshold that could be a start.

And if you're just looking for confirmation that it's ok to like what you like, you got it.

gabba2k7
0 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

Gabba, are you looking for suggestions?
no tnx. was trying to find out if it is strange that i dont want to watch pre 80ies movies. (like some beloved by critics masterpieces, influential films and etc classics)

Or have you tried and you really, really don't like them
cannot recall trying. it is as if i exist with this knowledge of how i would feel. probably it is based on some distant experience (like pre-internet age with much less options and big chance to spot some old films on TV or vhs)

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

gabba2k7 wrote:cannot recall trying. it is as if i exist with this knowledge of how i would feel.

Mmm I had this same feeling about French New Wave. Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut.

MacSwell
0 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

In my experience, the vast majority of people my age (28) and younger have barely seen and have zero interest in watching "older" movies - as in anything before 1980 (Disney films and a handful of classics aside). When I ask, they tend to be worried most of all that it won't be engaging for them.

I hadn't seen many "old" movies when I joined the site five years ago - I reckon it was fewer than 50 from pre-1970 - but I'm delighted that I pushed myself to get into them. Sure, it's never going to be for everyone, but if you really love film (and I'd guess you do given your presence on this site), I'd recommend that you take the plunge and give it a go. If you hate it, you can always just switch it off after 5 minutes.

Would recommend Duck Soup or Some Like It Hot if you do consider getting started.

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler is clearly influential on The Dark Knight so if you're into super-villains there you go.