How to deal with our changing taste over time ?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
90sCoffee
21 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: how to deal with your own changing taste over time ?

Post by 90sCoffee »

I didn't know it was something you had to deal with. It's a pretty natural thing to possibly happen, it just happens.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

I never said it wasn't natural.
But if it occurs, it is handled one way or the other.
I don't know if you read the OP, but there are basically 3 different ways to handle changing taste.

VinegarBob
30 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Funny that this should pop up right now, as this situation just happened to me last night.

I'll re-rate something if I re-watch it years down the line and my tastes have drifted away such that the original rating doesn't reflect my current view of the movie, as happened last night when I re-watched Mission: Impossible 3.

I rated it an 80 when it first came out for reasons I can't fathom now. Maybe it was Philip Seymour Hoffman, maybe it was just so much better than the second one that I overrated it at the time, I don't know. On this re-watch though I realized it's actually fucking awful and adjusted the rating to 20. And threw the blu ray in the garbage as I know I'll never want to watch it again. I've never been much of an action movie fan and with each passing year I find I have less and less patience for their repetitive shenanigans.

I'm scared to re-watch the original Predator movie now - which I remember enjoying quite a bit on release. Probably better to just retain the fond memory and not waste it by watching it again with these more jaded eyes. :(

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@VinegarBob:
thanks for sharing your experience. So I guess you are in category 3 then, inasmuch as you probably won't rerank Predator 1 without rewatching it?

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

paulofilmo wrote:yeah, it would be neat if there could be a weight added to the importance of the last (whatever) percentage of movies rated. Or a built-in decay/entropy/another word i'll pretend to understand.
for me i think it's ~15%. the last ~300 rated
I submitted your idea here: recency-weighted rankings

VinegarBob
30 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

livelove wrote:@VinegarBob:
thanks for sharing your experience. So I guess you are in category 3 then, inasmuch as you probably won't rerank Predator 1 without rewatching it?

That's right. Curiosity will probably get the better of me though, so I can see myself re-watching it. If so I'll report my findings.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

livelove wrote:3. My taste changes, and I change my vote accordingly to reflect that, but only when re-watching a movie so that I can verify if the actual re-watching experience matches the expected re-watching experience.
The problem with category 3 though is that

www.criticker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5506#p52354 wrote:watching a film a second time may give considerably different results
a) not only because your tastes may have changed but also
b) because you already know some spoilers, so for the category of movies that rely heavily on suspense, you won't be that excited any more the second time you watch it, since you already know what happens (even if only for the movie's major twists and turns).
Either way, the excitement of seeing something completely new, fresh and never-seen-before is gone (almost by definition) the 2nd time you see it. So IMO rating a movie on second sight is bound to yield a distorted rating.

This is why I get the sense I would give the movie a wrong rating by both rewatching and not rewatching it. It's a paradox. And a mess. :geek: