Do you rate ridiculously bad movies 0 or >0 ?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
monclivie
64 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How do you rate ridiculously bad movies: 0 or >0 ?

Post by monclivie »

If I also find it hilarious and super fun, I don't mind bad acting and production value and I can rate it 75-80/Tier 6-8, because why not, it's my personal rating and I liked it. But anything that is simply a pile of shit, especially if annoying of it takes itself too seriously, deserves a solid Tier 1 ranking from me.

livelove wrote:I don't know what other non-movie example I could come up with. Think of a football game maybe. Imagine hilariously bad players. It makes you laugh watching and you might find it entertaining for that reason. But if someone asks you, how good was the match, you would probably rate it zero.
It depends whether you are rating filmmaking skills or your experiences.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

Neither individual emotional response nor aesthetic appreciation can ever be measured numerically. It is nonsensical to assert that any one approach towards said quantification can result in a more "meaningful" representation of a number that cannot possibly "mean" anything outside of itself.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

livelove wrote:How do you rate movies which are "sooooo bad that they are good" ?
0 or > 0 ?

The closest thing I have to this is the bespoked moustacheulouid wonder, American Flyers. It's sort of very camp, yet solemn, and cheesily patriotic.

It's terrible, but I had a great time. 70 (which used to be Tier 7).

----

oh, and a weird 15 minute commercial called Seagram's Nightmare. It's awful, but maybe the people making it were just very high. I'd rate it Tier 8/9.

i saw it on a channel called Sumo TV, which used to play old black and white footage of rodeo shows in slow motion to trance music. stopping every 15minutes to play american commercials from the ~'60s. and some early german films. good channel.

gabba2k7
0 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

i give 40-70 to bad movies. though even 75-79 can be bad (this time the way criticker sorted my tiers)

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

gabba2k7 wrote:even 75-79 can be bad
I give up, lol :D :D

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

gabba2k7 wrote:i give 40-70 to bad movies. though even 75-79 can be bad (this time the way criticker sorted my tiers)

try to spread out your numbers - you should get better recs. Or just give something like date movie a 0, and see if it all shifts

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

paulofilmo wrote:try to spread out your numbers
Absolutely. Wait ... doesn't this advice come from someone voting in the 69-71 range mostly? ;)

paulofilmo wrote:Or just give something like date movie a 0, and see if it all shifts
no, changing a single vote doesn't change your percentiles. Why should it?
In this case the movie will just be/stay in the lowest percentile. That's all.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

livelove wrote:Absolutely. Wait ... doesn't this advice come from someone voting in the 69-71 range mostly? ;)

yeah!

paulofilmo wrote:Or just give something like date movie a 0, and see if it all shifts
livelove wrote:no, changing a single vote doesn't change your percentiles. Why should it?
In this case the movie will just be/stay in the lowest percentile. That's all.

Sorry! right you are. Nuke the entire site from orbit.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@paulofilmo: I don't understand the nuke/orbit reference. I didn't want to nitpick. See it from this perspective: You wouldn't want all your percentiles to change, only because you change a single movie score. I think this is good behaviour by Criticker.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

ah, it's a quote from Aliens

(while i was being facetious, i did go through the inevitable mismatch with people who spread out their rankings differently [if i'm understanding how the site works probably not]