100 things I hate in movies

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
nauru
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: 100 things I hate in movies

Post by nauru »

Good catch! I just grabbed that pic from google images and didn't notice the desklamp. Still, in my opinion, even with the lamp there the light is not remotely believable.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

well, there might still be other light sources in the room, we don't see from this perspective.
But I agree, just the desklamp alone wouldn't make for such smooth lightning. They surely used a diffuse reflector.

And regardless of this particular scene, your general observation is so true for countless movies.

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

81. Explainations of scientific principles that everyone should already know.

82. Mouse cursors moving across a monitor that are too smooth and straight to have been controlled by a human hand.

chmul_cr0n
28 Ratings

Post by chmul_cr0n »

livelove wrote:I think we use the term differently then. Or do you mean "climax" by any chance? I would understand what you are saying if you mean that there is a high point or climax somewhere in the middle or 2/3 of the film and whatever follows is less interesting. But what would that have to do with catharsis?

A climax is usually cathartic for me as an audience member, as long as I am emotionally invested. Even if it's just on a small scale.
In the example I chose both moments are climactic, but one didn't feel cathartic to me. I tend to use "climax", when talking about structure and "catharsis", when talking about emotional impact. More by accident than by conscious choice. :)

livelove wrote:People always expect 1 genre. Comedy. Or drama. And then they get confused when it's both. But in my mind, life IS both. Sometimes comedy, sometimes drama. Most of the time both. I don't have any good cinematic examples, unfortunately.

Combining genres isn't the issue. More the way they are combined.
My problem with the example I mentioned was more that I was expected to feed off of some emotional conncetion to the material that wasn't there, because of the way it was presented. If you wanna go from comedy to drama you have to be careful not to make fun of your story or your characters. When your satire is too distanced, you keep your audience from connecting to things they need later on to relate to the drama.
The Coen Brothers and Paul Thomas Anderson for example are exceptionally good at creating odd, funny characters that still have a lot of heart and depth to them. Which works precisely because human beings tend to be silly creatures with a lot of depth to them.
But if you show me a character that is just silly, and doesn't appear to have depth...it won't feel human to me. More like the butt of a joke. Or the deliverer of a joke. Like characters in Two and a Half Men or Austin Powers.
So when I'm "asked" to look at these kind of characters from a different perspective or with a different attitude (one that lets and makes me look for depth, meaning and humanity), and it doesn't hold up....I'll go ahead and call it a bad choice. :)

I had a similar experience with Er ist wieder da. I watched more than half, and I wasnt exactly bored, but the situation kept me/us from finishing the movie and I haven't gotten back to it yet. I thought it was kinda funny, but not very interesting. I also thought the attempts at pointing the finger afterwards were a little dull and cringeworthy. 'cause I didn't feel guilty for laughing at a couple of jokes. Catering to a certain audience only to later and then trying to make an ethical issue out of aesthetical differences is complete BS if you ask me. 'cause if racist jokes are bad, telling them is definitely worse than laughing at them.
But I don't remember the movie very well anyway...

A very good example for "genre-mixing, subtleties, quirky and weird independent film-making (if it's watchable:) and intelligent concepts." is "The Vicious Kind", a Lee Toland Krieger film. It depicts situations that are as human and tragic as they are baffling and absurd. To me that movie is a very good example for why indie filmmaking is important and why your usual Sundance darlings aren't as indie as they pretend to be. :>

Anomaly
0 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

Some people may look down on me for this, but...

83. Day for night

It always takes me out of the film, at least a little bit. Nothing experience-ruining, but seeing daylight shadows at "night" just gets to me in some weird way.

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

I can't not look at the shadows in day for night.... I wish I could.

JSchlansky
595 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

84. Dumb floating sci-fi touch-screen interfaces

CMonster
229 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

85. Broken day-night cycles. We know what dusk and dawn are, it's not a 1 minute transition from the middle of the night to full daylight.

JSchlansky
595 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

86. A character repeating out loud everything that someone on the other end of the phone says

coffee
0 Ratings

Post by coffee »

87. A dramatic moment that is ruined by stupid comedy.

Recent Marvel films are filled with these. You can't take any death, anything seriously.