Do you prefer dubbings or subtitles ?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
livelove
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Do you prefer dubbings or subtitles ?

Post by livelove »

Do you prefer dubbings or subtitles? And why?

zevel6
0 Ratings

Re: Do you prefer dubbings or subtitles ?

Post by zevel6 »

Subtitles by a country mile. Dubbing seems so unnatural and takes away from the focus of the film.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Why unnatural?
Can you say this in such a blanket way for all dubbings? I mean in the end, these are all actors/speakers and some of them are better and some of them not so good. Like the original actors in the first place. So ...

BillyShears
1938 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

A bunch of dubbed films have different dialogue than what is shown for the subtitles.

Jackie Chan movies dubbed though. Forever and for always.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

BillyShears wrote:A bunch of dubbed films have different dialogue than what is shown for the subtitles.
That depends on the subtitles. Usually there are a couple of different versions swirling around. Most of the time, one of them matches the dubbing. The DVD subtitles are usually shortened.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

there's a miyazaki with a victorian england vibe, and the english dub worked quite well for that. but otherwise, I'd rather hear the original actor's voice.

yug
0 Ratings

Post by yug »

Good dub is so hard to come by so usually subtitles...

zevel6
0 Ratings

Post by zevel6 »

livelove wrote:Why unnatural?
Can you say this in such a blanket way for all dubbings? I mean in the end, these are all actors/speakers and some of them are better and some of them not so good. Like the original actors in the first place. So ...

Unnatural because the words that come out of their mouths don't match how their lips move.
I actually don't mind dubbing for animated movies though.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Do you really notice it that much?

I am not sure but I might have noticed it in very old films a couple of times. But current dubbings are technically quite advanced I find. I have a hard time noticing any difference. Sometimes I switch between the audio tracks, but I couldn't see any mismatching lip movements. Most of the time I couldn't figure out what the original language is (just judging by the lip movements alone).

I do have the impression, however, that the voices in the original language most of the time better fit the actor's visual appearance. And maybe it's just my imagination, but I am under the impression that the acting gives the original voice a broader range of expression. Might be just an illusion.
Last edited by livelove on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BabyBlue42
Ratings

Post by BabyBlue42 »

Depends on the film, the original actors vs the dub actors, and my mood

If it's a martial arts film ot something where the dialogue it's that important, I would say dubbing

If it's drama or something where the dialogue and tone can be very important, I would say subtitles, unless the dubbing is done very well.

If I'm too tired to read subtitles, well I probably wouldn't watch a non-english film unless I didn't think the dialogue would matter much or thought the dubbing would be decent.

If the subtitles are going by too fast for me to read them, then probably dubbing, unless it's really bad.