Do I need to see more bad movies?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Midaso
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Do I need to see more bad movies?

Post by Midaso »

Chances are,you have seen a lot of bad movies when you were a kid. It's just that we tend to forget most of the bad ones and remember the good ones. Most people will vastly underestimate the number of movies they have seen because of this. Scroll through the database and you might be surprised,of course it is up to you whether you rank movies you don't necessarily remember much about but know you have seen...

Frank
0 Ratings

Post by Frank »

BabyBlue42 wrote:I just started with this yesterday, got almost 300 rated so far. I've noticed a trend though, the majority of films I rate 70-100 because I generally don't even watch films that I think will be bad. The issue with this though is that this means a film with 70 is in the 32nd percentile currently, which makes it seem like a worse rating, but I consider a 70 to be an enjoyable film, if not a great, complex film, basically a blockbuster like Transformers, or Armageddon.

So, do I need to watch more bad films so I can have more films in the lower end of my rating range, or is this fine?

It's also possible you are just suffering from ratings inflation. It happens a lot.

To use Transformers as an example. You rated that 7/10. To me a 7/10 is a great movie, it's one tier above good and one tier below amazing. I rated Transformers a 5/10 which is the "meh" or "average" for me. It wasn't bad, it had some cool elements in it, but it wasn't good either.

A movie that is a 7/10 is one that I am likely to watch again and was worth the visit to the theaters. A 5/10 was definitely a Netflix movie for me lol

You should absolutely expand your horizons though. I often watch movies that people recommend without ever checking Criticker for a probability rating. You'll never find your favorite gem suited to your own personal preferences if you only ever watch the safe picks from IMDb or wherever you are choosing them from.

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

yep. If you make 7/10 an average movie, and only rate something 5/10 or lower if it was objectively terrible, you are going to skew your percentiles high.

for me, 5/10 is an average, watchable but forgettable movie. My 50th percentile still falls somewhere around 6.5/10, but I think it's a more useful spread as far as giving me decent TCIs and Probable scores.

jal90
0 Ratings

Post by jal90 »

To fully take advantage of Criticker, I guess yes, since a widespread rating distribution increases the reliability of its recommendation system.

But I doubt you watch films solely for rating purposes so it really is a matter of what you are in the mood for. As some people have rightly told you, watching bad stuff can be entertaining in a way.

Malcym
0 Ratings

Post by Malcym »

Life is too short to intentionally seek out bad films - live long enough and watch enough movies and they will come to you.

Stella12
Ratings

Post by Stella12 »

Any movie is a good experience, so you'd see them.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Helpful for research https://researchpapers.io/write-my-research-paper-for-me/
My blogpost: https://www.99techpost.com/guide-to-sms-marketing/