Do I need to see more bad movies?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
BabyBlue42
Ratings
Your TCI: na

Do I need to see more bad movies?

Post by BabyBlue42 »

I just started with this yesterday, got almost 300 rated so far. I've noticed a trend though, the majority of films I rate 70-100 because I generally don't even watch films that I think will be bad. The issue with this though is that this means a film with 70 is in the 32nd percentile currently, which makes it seem like a worse rating, but I consider a 70 to be an enjoyable film, if not a great, complex film, basically a blockbuster like Transformers, or Armageddon.

So, do I need to watch more bad films so I can have more films in the lower end of my rating range, or is this fine?

chmul_cr0n
28 Ratings

Re: Do I need to see more bad movies?

Post by chmul_cr0n »

I've got 3700 rated and more than half of them are spread across 62 (31st) to 77 (83rd). So yes, seeking out bad movies would help, but I wouldn't take things so seriously as to go that far. :D
Like, how could it possibly be worth the effort? Watch a 100 bad movies to increase the chances of being recommended a couple of interesting ones? Not really...

If most movies you see are good, being good doesn't make a movie special anymore. So all you're doing is weeding out the usual stuff to make room for the really great ones to matter. So it's just about high standards, I guess.

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

Eh just change your quips. Why watch movies you don't wanna watch just to game the system? Unless you think it's hurting your psis, leave the bad movies to us bottom feeders, trust me I'll watch enough to make up for the ones you're wisely skipping.

VinegarBob
30 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Nobody needs to see more bad movies.

Adds
55 Ratings

Post by Adds »

At the bottom of your profile you can manually control the colors for your ratings.

Totally play around with that. The default is never going to be quite right.

TheDenizen
0 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

You should watch more bad movies because bad movies are awesome.

If you're just worried about your quips and tiers, don't bother.

zevel6
0 Ratings

Post by zevel6 »

If you've seen Transformers it sounds like you've already seen bad movies.

TheRealJ-Ro
11 Ratings

Post by TheRealJ-Ro »

I'm of the mind that no matter how many movies you've watched, up into the thousands or tens of thousands, taking the time to watch bad movies reminds you what you love about the good to great ones.

I guess maybe it's more of a "don't shy away from bad movies" rather than "you should watch bad movies". There's value to me in bad movies.

Mentaculus
105 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

TheRealJ-Ro wrote:I'm of the mind that no matter how many movies you've watched, up into the thousands or tens of thousands, taking the time to watch bad movies reminds you what you love about the good to great ones.

I guess maybe it's more of a "don't shy away from bad movies" rather than "you should watch bad movies". There's value to me in bad movies.

This year I've watched a lot of "bad" movies and... after so long... some bad movies start to look good, compared to really bad movies.

I like the idea of "bad" movies as a palette cleanser every once in a while. It's a part of the breadth of cinema art, which is part of what makes movies so great. But I wouldn't put yourself through the ringer just to normalize your percentiles

edward
0 Ratings

Post by edward »

I don't waste my time with films I know I won't like. Similarly, I'm not going to spend 2 hours watching a film if the first 20 minutes are unbearable.

But I also hate reading about a film, or even knowing what it's about before seeing it. I enjoy the surprise. So it can be difficult knowing what I'll like and what I'll hate.

99% of the films I see are based on recommendations/suggestions.

IMDB lists and perfect rated films on Criticker are my main sources of recommendations. This is a pretty good method, but it's certainly not fool-proof. I'm still going to hate more than half of these recommendations, so I don't need to pile on more bad films and waste more time.