How to find out the original language spoken in a film?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
iconogassed
29 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: How to find out the original language spoken in a film?

Post by iconogassed »

it's not worth it, spach zoro, thrusting
Last edited by iconogassed on Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

livelove wrote:@everyone:
Do you know any reliable online resource/database where the original language of films is listed authoritatively ?

No.

I have found two websites that has English as the language for Amen. Most either listed all the languages or none. and two got it wrong.

https://rateyourmusic.com/film/amen_/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amen.

I checked the bourne identity on both sites, and wikipedia has it listed as English. (most sites would include the bits of French/German, etc. when Marie swears, French police talking to each other, Jason using his super spy language skillz , ,)

CosmicMonkey
160 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

I had a lot of difficulty trying to figure which language Suspiria was originally shot in, since both Italian and English versions were widely available. Turns out both versions were made at the same time, and both could be considered the "original version", which okay fine, but which version should I watch, then? Is one version closer to the director's original vision than the other?

I had similar problem with The Leopard as well, with both Italian and English dubs are easily available. However, in that case, since almost all the actors except Burt Lancaster originally recorded their dialogue in Italian, it's easier to guess that the original version is the Italian one.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Neowulf wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:28 am
There was always some language spoken by the actors on set, which I think is what we mean by "original language"?
yes

Neowulf wrote:
Does anyone have an example of a film where the original language is actually really hard to figure out? I still feel like this should be a pretty rare roblem...
yes, plenty of cases. Not so much if you just watch Hollywood movies of course, but elsewhere it's a different story.

Neowulf wrote:
In the example in the original topic, Amen, the question could be resolved by Wikipedia.
Wiki is written by you and me. You'd wonder how many times I have seen blatant errors in Wikipedia or other websites.
Case ...

paulofilmo wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:35 pm
livelove wrote:@everyone:
Do you know any reliable online resource/database where the original language of films is listed authoritatively ?
No.
I have found two websites that has English as the language for Amen. Most either listed all the languages or none. and two got it wrong.
... in point.