How do you use criticker.com?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MockHamill
12 Ratings
Your TCI: na

How do you use criticker.com?

Post by MockHamill »

I just realized that I almost never use criticker.com in the way I initially thought I would use the site.

I do not use the site to find new movies or tv series that would be worth watching. My PSI is filled with movies I have no interest in seeing even though I probably would rate them high if I actually saw them. Basically, the site if good at figuring out if you would like a movie if you saw it, but not good at figuring out if you are actually interested in watching the movie in the first place.

Instead I use other sources (Netflix, trailers on youtube etc) to find movies/tv series that seems entertaining. Then I use criticker.com to figure out if I should actually watch them.

If it is a movie I am interested in and criticker.com assumes I give it a rating of 70 or higher I will watch it. If not, I will thumb it down on Netflix without seeing it. I do the same with tv-series except the cut off score is 80 - simple because tv series are more a of a time investment so it needs to have a higher entertainment value compared to a movie to be worth the time.

So criticker.com works perfectly for me, just not in the way I thought it would.

Frank
0 Ratings

Re: How do you use criticker.com?

Post by Frank »

That's pretty similar to how I use it. No site is able to predict my mood for the day, so expecting it to recommend me something I feel like watching is impossible. But, as you described, it's great when browsing and having a list of movies to choose from that you are unsure about. I also like peaking at the recommended movies from other users, but I add them to a "film club" list that I make my way through slowly.

Velvet Crowe
1135 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

I mostly just use it to rate shit and get feed random recommendations on my feed. I don't put much thought into what purpose it has beyond that.

kgbelliveau
0 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

I mostly use it to keep rank of films from the year that was. To see how series improve or depreciate over time. Basically to simply keep track of each movie I see and the impression it left on me. I generally have an open slate as to what I am willing to watch so I don't need the prediction or the PSI to sell me on a particular film. It's more interesting when it scores it incorrectly from how I end up perceiving the film.

BillyShears
1938 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

Just to keep track of what I’ve subjected myself to. It’s fun to see the PSI of what I’m going to submit be almost spot on but then you’ll get something like Mr Nanny having a “9” when baby that’s a 70 in my stupid book.

AFlickering
287 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

there isn't a major distinction between what i'd rate high and what i'm interested in watching, so the ultra-accurate PSIs are a godsend for me. collections are extremely useful for more specific recommendations, though, not to mention the database filters. i rarely use the recommendations pages, but the collections are incredibly useful if you want something in a particular sub-genre or with a particular theme.

the kumpel function, in conjunction with top TCIs, is also excellent for recommendations if you use it wisely. i have nearly 200 kumps made up of the most fascinating and relatable people on the site and they're an endless supply of gems.

Mentaculus
105 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

I basically just watch the random shit I come across in my day-to-day and use this site as a film journal, of sorts: what I think about the filmed thing the moment after I watch the filmed thing.

Often, I come across a ‘review’ I wrote 4-5 years earlier and find it’s either spot-on or wildly off. It’s a pretty fun method to see how I’ve changed in my appreciation, or lack thereof.
Last edited by Mentaculus on Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chemical404
0 Ratings

Post by chemical404 »

I use criticker to rate movies, and write short reviews. Although criticker feels dated, and doesn't look that great, I still LOVE this site, and hope it will never go down. No other site uses 0-100 rating scale, or tier system (which is ESSENTIAL to me).

I rated and short-reviewed on here EVERY film I watched for more than a decade. Just now I watched something I vaguely remember seeing before. Went on criticker and found my short review from 2009. Not only it is interesting to see how my taste changed over a decade, but also I get to see how *I* changed. Good stuff.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

> Why are you not interested in watching movies which you would like watching (if it is a movie you would rate high, then I assume you would like those movies)?

I get that. A film that you might grade highly, even according to your own unique standards, isn't necessarily one you'd be up for watching anytime.

That said, "no interest" whatsoever in something you think you'd grade highly is a little odd. And deciding if you'll watch something by checking if Criticker predicts you'll give it a 70 might be the single craziest thing I've ever read on this forum