How do we feel about the Amc/Regal vs universal beef

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ribcage
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

How do we feel about the Amc/Regal vs universal beef

Post by ribcage »

Regal and AMC are taking a stand against Universal's decision to simultaneously release theatrically and VOD in the future by not showing their films.

Pretty bold strike in what may lead to some game changing battles. While I'm basically on the theaters side because I don't want to see them disappear, I don't see this going well for them especially when a vast majority of people don't see the value in the theater experience anymore (admittedly theaters are to blame on this -- what have they done to adapt to streaming culture besides installing recliners and opening bars?)

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: How do we feel about the Amc/Regal vs universal beef

Post by ShogunRua »

Interesting. I'm an economist but don't know nearly enough of the variables to state who has more leverage.

While I've largely abandoned them, I can still see the value in theaters. A fun outing for the whole family, a date night, a piece of entertainment that can still be experienced communally, larger images and better audio quality than even most modern TVs, etc. They're not completely worthless in the way that, for instance, newspapers are.

Meanwhile, how strong are Universal's finances? Universal Studios is closed for now and big production companies are becoming increasingly irrelevant.

I don't know how strong the VOD market is, either. I've never paid for VOD, especially since I can watch the movie for free with two snaps of my finger with the same visual and audio quality on whatever device I want, but maybe there are people who still pay for it.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

Flashing back to my video store job in high school when Soderbergh was trying a simultaneous theater-DVD-VOD release model with Bubble (and those other movies that never got made) and it was being framed in some quarters (like our company newsletter) as a game changer. There would seem to be something worth exploring here w/r/t the relationship between markets and media ecosystems.

I all but despise modern cinemas' efforts to "compete". Bars, recliners, waiters walking in front of the goddamn screen. Fortunately I have an outstanding arthouse around the corner with an $8 admission for members and no chicken wings and plenty of rock-hard spine-crippling fold-down theater seats like the good lord intended.
Last edited by iconogassed on Sat May 02, 2020 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

Though lemme add I encourage the smuggling of OUTSIDE booze into movies. More fond memories of killing twelve contraband PBRs with a buddy during a double feature of Eraserhead and Blue Velvet at the Bloor in Toronto, joints being passed around, staff not caring 'cause everyone was just being as chill and receptive as could friggin be

go back 2 those gold soundz . . .

dragon316
Ratings

Post by dragon316 »

I hate it let theaters live

Frank
0 Ratings

Post by Frank »

I feel like the VOD market and the theater-going market have very little overlap anyway.

I don't go to the theater because I want to see the movie ASAP. I go because I can't replicate the technology at home.

BillyShears
1938 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

Death to the cinemas Long live the new flesh.

ribcage
0 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

To be released simultaneously on VOD and Psychosexual Mindbeam

kgbelliveau
0 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

As someone who still goes to the cinema quite frequently I am on the fence. I think the reason behind it is a very extreme circumstance and therefore very much warranted. However, for me knowing I could have seen the same movies on the big screen with my friends instead of a lone in my home it's just not the same.

I don't begrudge the studios for not wanting to lose money on their investments and cornering the market to make sure they make they the most off of them. It's a lose lose in my mind. Take the joy out of a family night by selling it back to you in the comfort of your home.

Velvet Crowe
1137 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

New, big name releases are generally what keep theaters alive. If Disney decides they're not going to drop their major releases in theaters before home services, then theaters will probably start dying. It doesn't help that theaters are overprice their food and maybe their viewings.