Hitchcock & Scully

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
amazedemon
25 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Hitchcock & Scully

Post by amazedemon »

In an attempt to appreciate classic cinema, I've deciced to theme this week's films as those directed by Alfred Hitchcock and one where William Scully worked as the production manager. Yes, it’s a tenuous and contrived link to make a Brooklyn Nine-Nine reference.

The films, as follows:

Rear Window (1954) - PSI: 69 ---> 66
Vertigo (1958) - PSI: 72 ---> 65
Psycho (1960) - PSI: 84 ---> 66
Rebecca/ Strangers on a Train/ Rope/ The Birds - I haven't decided on this one yet. Your thoughts are welcome. Rope (1948) - PSI: 71 ---> 71
North by Northwest (1959) - PSI: 93 ---> 67

Gone with the Wind (1939) - PSI: 74 ---> 64

My initial impression is that PSIs are over-inflated for these films as they are for most classics, and perhaps I may shift a few TCI points away from my top matches. Hopefully, I still enjoy the films.

Hopefully this is the right place for this kind of discussion. Look forward to hearing what you think, and if you've got similar watchlists.

Update: I've decided to go with Rope (1948), but will probably revisit Rebecca in the not too distant future.

Update 2: Watched & reviewed.
Last edited by amazedemon on Sun May 31, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Re: Hitchcock & Scully

Post by iconogassed »

amazedemon wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:55 pm
My initial impression is that PSIs are over-inflated for these film as they are for most classic
Your ratings list 5 films made before 1960 that aren't Disney cartoons. That's not exactly a great sample size for such a judgment. If you're just getting into classic film and you're already skeptical that Vertigo might be worth 7/10, I think you're approaching things in a spirit that will benefit yourself least of all

coffee
0 Ratings

Post by coffee »

Among the "undecided" list I recommend Rebecca.
Surely it's not as good as The Desolation of Smaug but one might still enjoy it to some degree.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

i would watch North by northwest. go into it like it's some stylish breezy fun. see how you get on.

Bernard Herrmann (composer on at least a couple of those) is fab.

amazedemon
25 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

iconogassed wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 pm
I think you're approaching things in a spirit that will benefit yourself least of all
Sorry, might have misrepresented myself a little there. I'm actually looking forward to watching the films. It's not that I'm sceptical that Vertigo is worth 7/10, it's that 72 corresponds to 9/10. The way I've ended up rating films has made Criticker's algorithm slightly skewed at higher numbers.

I'm not a supporting member, so I don't have access to the difference between PSIs and ratings, but I hypothesise that the difference would be related to factors like genre, the presence of certain actors, and age.

coffee wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:18 pm
Among the "undecided" list I recommend Rebecca.
Surely it's not as good as The Desolation of Smaug but one might still enjoy it to some degree.
Thanks. I wouldn't expect it to be ;) , but if Criticker was built on a disdain for Shrek 2, then I'll stand by my subjective (and probably irrational) fondness for The Desolation of Smaug.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

amazedemon wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:28 pm
iconogassed wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 pm
I think you're approaching things in a spirit that will benefit yourself least of all
Sorry, might have misrepresented myself a little there. I'm actually looking forward to watching the films. It's not that I'm sceptical that Vertigo is worth 7/10, it's that 72 corresponds to 9/10.
How so? Even if you're judging on a scale of 1 to 10 instead of 0 to 100, mathematically a 9/10 on the 1 to 10 scale corresponds to a 88.9 or so on a 0 to 100 scale.

coffee
0 Ratings

Post by coffee »

amazedemon wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:28 pm
Thanks. I wouldn't expect it to be ;) , but if Criticker was built on a disdain for Shrek 2, then I'll stand by my subjective (and probably irrational) fondness for The Desolation of Smaug.
I see that you liked Inglourious Basterds a little. In that film, a certain person was mentioned, David O. Selznick. I hope you remember the name. So that guy and Hitchcock made the movie Rebecca together. Old timers... I think it would be cool to know what a movie you like was talking about.

amazedemon
25 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

coffee wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:06 pm
In that film, a certain person was mentioned, David O. Selznick. I hope you remember the name. So that guy and Hitchcock made the movie Rebecca together. Old timers... I think it would be cool to know what a movie you like was talking about.
After a quick bit of googling, Selznick was also the producer for Gone with the Wind. The scene in Inglourious Basterds was the one with Mike Myers; not sure if I've seen enough (or any) of Goebbels' films, or even Mayer's to be able to truly appreciate what they were talking about.