Gender-equality/feminist recommendations?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
CosmicMonkey
160 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Gender-equality/feminist recommendations?

Post by CosmicMonkey »

TV Series recs:

Are you looking for shows with gender-balanced casts? Or one's that are feminist? Because those aren't necessarily the same thing. A lot of the best feminist shows have casts that are majority women.

Good feminist shows with roughly gender-balanced casts:

Star Trek: Voyager (except for Seven of Nine's outfit, which is very objectifying, otherwise, the rest of the show is pretty feminist, especially by 90s standards, and is definitely less sexist than Buffy, which was on the air at the same time.)
Dear White People (imo the most intersectional show on TV)
Anne with an "E"

Good feminist shows with majority women:

Killing Eve
Glow
Steven Universe
(well.... technically actually majority femme enbys, but nevermind that for now)
Broad City
The Handmaids Tale
Orange is the New Black
Call the Midwife

Good shows with gender-balanced casts that may or may not be feminist (i.e. it's up for debate):

Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.
Downton Abbey
Battlestar Galactica

BoJack Horseman

Note: these are only the shows I think are good.There's also a lot of mediocre and bad feminist shows I didn't include (The Mindy Project, Weeds, Sense8 etc.)

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

CosmicMonkey wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:51 pm
Good shows with gender-balanced casts that may or may not be feminist (i.e. it's up for debate):
Great! So the debate's been settled on all of the other titles, then?

CosmicMonkey
160 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

iconogassed wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:25 pm
CosmicMonkey wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:51 pm
Great! So the debate's been settled on all of the other titles, then?
No, of course not, sorry, that's not what I meant, I probably could've picked my words better. Obviously, everything I was stating was just my own personal opinion, and it didn't intend for it to sound like I was declaring an absolute truth. i.e. These are the shows that I personally think fit into the criteria of what OP is looking for.

When I said it was up for debate, I meant it was up for debate internally, that I myself was unsure and was arguing with myself (and perhaps within my social circle) whether I thought it was feminist or not, or if matched what the OP was looking for.
The other TV series are the ones that I'm certain about, the ones that I can confidently describe as feminist, but obviously, that's just, like, my opinion, man. Anyone is welcome to disagree, and if anyone has their own recommendations, feel free to share them.

Velvet Crowe
1137 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

And this is why I can't take the term "feminist tv shows" seriously. It's up to personal discretion if a show is "feminist" or not, apparently.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

yeah. i try to be pragmatic. (i.e.) what media changed my mind about a thing? *

i don't think OP stayed here more than a day, but it wouldn't be too tricky to look at their rankings and recommend stuff based on that. including incorporating interesting areas to branch out in.

(if op is about, perhaps check out some letterboxd lists)

* e.g. the medias that have made me sympathetic to vegetarian/veganism weren't the shocking documentaries— but things like the horse bits from The Misfits (1961); or a scene from an Indian movie where a man rescues a bird from kids. It's weird. For me, if it's the tenor of the thing, then it's overbearing. Do me something subtle.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

Velvet Crowe wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:42 pm
And this is why I can't take the term "feminist tv shows" seriously. It's up to personal discretion if a show is "feminist" or not, apparently.
The phantom consensus is the most effective tool of present-day corporate-sponsored progressivism, which is basically one big secular League of Decency all schooled-up by sophists

Velvet Crowe
1137 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

There's also that - I don't think corporate suits care about progressive ideas so much as they utilize it for PR and marketing. I wouldn't look at these portrayals as necessarily earnest or honest.