Opinions on fan edits?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
CosmicMonkey
160 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Opinions on fan edits?

Post by CosmicMonkey »

What are the best fan edits of films out there? Are there any that so significantly improve on the original work that you would recommend the fan edit instead? Have you ever made a fan edit yourself?

My only experience with fan edits was watching a fan edit of The Hobbit Trilogy that condensed all three movies into one 4 hour one. While it was better in that it cut out a lot of bad subplots (elven love triangle, politics of the dale, singing goblins), all those cuts also lead to obvious continuity errors (like characters suddenly being in a different location without explanation) and weird pacing issues, and it's not something I would say is obviously better than the original version.

BillyShears
1938 Ratings

Re: Opinions on fan edits?

Post by BillyShears »

They’re fine when done well. The best is Raising Cain, it’s such a good edit that DePalma made it the official director’s cut.

metalhank
0 Ratings

Post by metalhank »

I would never seek one out, director's cut or forget about it.

Edit:
Maybe if I've watched it like 10 times than give er a go for curiosity. That would be like 3-4 movies for me.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

there's lots i'd like to do. make blade runner waaayyyy slower. fuck about with no country for old men. a bunch of others

not sure i've seen any. does the Moroder ver of Metropolis count? i thuoght that was cool - a bit kitsch, but like an outrun version of the film

i wish this was more of a thing. perhaps it is, and i just don't know about it

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

The Despecialized Edition of the Star Wars Original Trilogy is my pick.

CosmicMonkey
160 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

paulofilmo wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:02 pm
i wish this was more of a thing. perhaps it is, and i just don't know about it

After posting this topic, I discovered there's a pretty sizable online community of fan editors. And honestly, some of them look pretty good.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

found this on there @{:D

https://vimeo.com/133396794