Criticker's Twenty Most Loved Films of 2020

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
mpowell
1 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Criticker's Twenty Most Loved Films of 2020

Post by mpowell »

2020 didn't exactly have many blockbuster triumphs at the box office... but a lot of incredible films continued to find their way to our eyes this year. The twenty most loved films at Criticker from 2020 are incredibly varied; horror, sci-fi, documentary, musical, animation, romance, and some which seem to defy the very idea of "genre".

Did your favorite film make the list? Anything you're shocked to see on here?

20. Mank - Love Percentage: 21.98%

"A stylish and beautifully looking old-school classic movie, Mank throws you back into the old days of Hollywood following screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz through back and forth flashbacks, giving him ideas and inspirations for Citizen Kane. Mank stays interesting through drama and learning more about the guy and the people and events he encounters. The music and use of sound is very good, all the performances are great, and overall the film is a nice companion piece to the legacy of Citizen Kane." - ADragon91
19. Possessor - Love Percentage: 22.49%

"Brandon Cronenberg's second feature cannot help but remind you of his father, both because of the subject matter and the presence of "eXistenZ" star Jennifer Jason Leigh as Riseborough's handler. But this is far better than a mere copy of his dad's style. He has a much richer visual style, feeling at times like the more recent films of Nicolas Winding Refn or the work of Pan Cosmatos. " - doyler29
18. Another Round - Love Percentage: 23.56%

"Approachable filmmaking that manages to balance exuberant, almost transcendent moments of joy; lovable stupid comedy and a sense of genuine melancholy. As with "The Hunt", the moral grayness of the piece invites analysis and interpretation. The cinematography is beautiful and intimate, comfortable with letting the great acting by Mikkelsen and co. do the heavy lifting. I had a lot of fun with this and the ending scene has stuck with me. Contender for scene of the year for me." - Sadman
17. I'm Thinking of Ending Things - Love Percentage: 24.09%

"Moving from “existential nightmare” to “existential nightmare in 4:3”, Kaufman builds upon an effective yet lacking book to make a wonderfully uncomfortable, traumatisingly funny, and characteristically sad movie. Amazing turns from everyone, with Buckley building on her earlier promise to give a bravura performance, and fantastic claustrophobic cinematography. It’s certainly Kaufman’s least accessible yet, and a little overlong, but nonetheless up there with his best work." - Bown
16. The Nest - Love Percentage: 24.19%

"Scathing dissection of 80s yuppie disaffection is powered by a pair of brilliant performances from Law and Coon (Law hasn't been this good in years) and the beautifully hideous evocation of the worst of vulgar excess, 80s style. There's no great joy, ironic or otherwise, watching these selfish and callous people essentially self-destruct, but the actors at least make the journey semi-worthwhile." - glumpy_99
15. Dick Johnson Is Dead - Love Percentage: 25.53%

"Kirsten Johnson is undeniably talented and a creative force when it comes to documentary filmmaking. Then you add her father, who seems to be the warmest human being. His smile, which is nearly always present, just brings immediate joy. The celebration of a person's life can be a push and pull between sadness and delight, and Johnson captures this juxtaposition perfectly. I can't think of a better tribute." - WWallce4prez
14. Boys State - Love Percentage: 28.13%

"If I ever meet anyone who's been through a Lord of the Flies or Battle Royale type experience, I'll try to be sympathetic to whatever psychological damage they've suffered. If I ever meet anyone who's been through Boys State, I'm walking away fast, hopefully with a crucifix in my pocket. Not their fault, but I can't risk giving them the benefit of the doubt." - snallygaster
13. Sound of Metal - Love Percentage: 32.14%

"wo stars here, really: Riz Ahmed and the sound design. Riz manages to be tender, angry, sad, thoughtful, happy, etc. Genuine, complex performance. Sound design is inspired, in part because it makes you feel what he feels, but it actually gives you a reason not to hear dialogue (hear that Nolan?). Also, it's just interesting and helps immerse you. Aside from that, the story is good but not awesome. Doesn't matter though because those two stars elevate this." - Obdurate
12. First Cow - Love Percentage: 33.18%

"Many will focus on the social implications of this film, particularly its interaction with capitalism. It's well done, to be sure, but for me, this film does something even more rare and important: it gives us a portrait of male friendship that is downright revelatory as it highlights companionship and mutual service in the hopes of attaining their common goals." - Icarus
11. Days - Love Percentage: 34.04%

"Write a Kang character, and write another, then let us to wait for them to touch each other. Another pure heart-melter by Tsai" - jagarnyfiken
10. Driveways - Love Percentage: 37.21%

"25 years ago, I’d have dismissed this as too on-the-nose, shallow, and obvious. in 2020, though, it evoked fond, calm memories of slower & simpler times, old friendships, and long-departed relatives. comfort viewing." - seals
9. My Octopus Teacher - Love Percentage: 38.2%

"octopuses are amazing! a beautiful story about connecting with nature" - mixmaxter
8. La Casa Lobo - Love Percentage: 40.54%

"Tremendous amount of work went into this visual feast." - fenixdown
7. David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet - Love Percentage: 41.67%

"Mesmerizing documentary with a great lesson at the end of it. What a life this man has had, I think he can teach us a lot, and for me he has. Extremely amazing scenes, a must watch for anyone interested in life on earth (which we should all be)" - eric-jan
6. Soul - Love Percentage: 43.16%

"Pixar’s most mature, down to earth story yet. I loved the films exploration of purpose and how we should spend our life. Joe’s final words have stuck with me for days after viewing. The animation is stellar, the characters are very relatable and charming, and the story is oh so original. It amazes me that Pixar is still perfectly capable to making fresh stories. In a year full of hardships and unexpected change from this pandemic, this was a perfect movie to end the year on. Fantastic." - Leonardis
5. Wolfwalkers - Love Percentage: 43.38%

"Stirring, incredibly beautiful and full of emotion, Wolfwalkers is the medium of animation at its best. Reverent to history yet free to explore the spirit, it's a feast for the eyes and the soul." - jthusky
4. Colectiv - Love Percentage: 48%

"This fly-on-the-wall-style doc follows a team of reporters and an interim minister through a public health scandal and effectively deals with the question of whether persistence, transparency and good intentions can prevail against corruption and apathy." - psim
3. American Utopia - Love Percentage: 56.25%

"The wide release of this awesome show is possibly the best thing to come out of 2020." - KMcNeil
2. Hamilton - Love Percentage: 57.71%

"I think it's incredibly hard to screw up such perfect source material, but because the creative team behind the original show took extra effort in filming its Broadway performance, Hamilton is more than just a filmed stage production. The cast's performances overall (in particular its three Tony winners) are stellar, and seeing them instead of just hearing them as I've been subjected to for the past several years isn't just a revolution; it's a revelation, and one that all should experience." - jacobclark12
1. Nomadland - Love Percentage: 60%

"A vast improvement on Zhao's previous film, the Rider. Zhao has a talent in photographing faces in the desolate and beautiful landscapes. Here the film is anchored around the weather beaten faces of American nomads- the story of the America that got left behind." - leemarvins