Hello all! :)

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Hello all! :)

Post by MmzHrrdb »

So, after so many years, this site is still up and running and with a good amount of activity from what i seen from new movies and movies still in cinema and the amount of ratings.

What make you guys stay here in this day and age when there was a boom of movie specific social website? :)

DSouza_Vasco
16 Ratings

Re: Hello all! :)

Post by DSouza_Vasco »

besides criticker, I only know letterbox. What are the others?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

PedroPT wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:02 pm
So, after so many years, this site is still up and running and with a good amount of activity from what i seen from new movies and movies still in cinema and the amount of ratings.

What make you guys stay here in this day and age when there was a boom of movie specific social website? :)
Social media has been an unmitigated pox on humanity, making people dumber, more antisocial, more extreme in their views, angrier, less happy, lowered attention spans, and encouraged and developed all manner of mental illness.

Thus, Criticker having a smaller social element (just an old-school message board attached to the main site) is very much a point in its favor.

JooJoo
0 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

Two things keeping me around:

- the huge variety of collections for certain subgenre and niche areas of film.
- Keeping up with the last dozen or so active users that I still follow from back when I started (and occasionally following someone new once in a while).

julesfmb
263 Ratings

Post by julesfmb »

I'm here mostly because of the rating scale. 1 to 100. I love it! Allows me to be as specific as I want. Also the compatibility and recommendation system. It always reminds me of what I "should" watch based on what I have. Sometimes a wishlist is not enough, since it gets forgotten once things pile up.

schnofel
0 Ratings

Post by schnofel »

It's my ultimate database for film, and that means more than I can possibly convey in a few descriptive sentences. I also love the short form film reviews, and the fact that you cannot comment on them. It gives the whole thing a semi-private appearance. I mean, I love getting stars as a sort of thumbs up for whatever aspect of my compressed thoughts seemed cool, but not getting dragged for opinions and unpopular takes is wonderful. It fosters intellectual freedom.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

ShogunRua wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:20 am
PedroPT wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:02 pm

Social media has been an unmitigated pox on humanity, making people dumber, more antisocial, more extreme in their views, angrier, less happy, lowered attention spans, and encouraged and developed all manner of mental illness.

Thus, Criticker having a smaller social element (just an old-school message board attached to the main site) is very much a point in its favor.
that went a bit dark there, but it´s true though.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

DSouza_Vasco wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:54 pm
besides criticker, I only know letterbox. What are the others?
hum, i am not gonna make publicity here hehe, might not be welcomed.
that one is a messy cluster where my eyes "die". besides, the most upvoted reviews are just plain reddit / 4cchan content that pisses me off :) and if not that, well, elitist jerks that make fun of your tastes.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

julesfmb wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:17 am
I'm here mostly because of the rating scale. 1 to 100. I love it! Allows me to be as specific as I want. Also the compatibility and recommendation system. It always reminds me of what I "should" watch based on what I have. Sometimes a wishlist is not enough, since it gets forgotten once things pile up.
im still lost on the rating scale, i wanted to change it like i see on many people that use for example a 1 to 5 sale but i still dont get it. i tried it, and messed up all my rating and had to import them again xD

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

For me personally it´s our ratings zone where we an filter everything we want, it´s very useful. just wish that it used small thumbs and not text only, but i understand that it an be for server and site speed issues. i also that i an add the movies i see and are not on the site, AND that is manually added and not taken from open source databases that makes sites become "clones"