I am new - I am feeling sad - is Critiker past it's sell by date?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
rocketly
6 Ratings
Your TCI: na

I am new - I am feeling sad - is Critiker past it's sell by date?

Post by rocketly »

I have spent a lot of time over the last 14 days finding every movie or tv show I have watched and trying to find a meaningful system of ranking them that makes sense to me and tries to match my TCI's to allow me to explore the matching system.

I have even added 4 things this site didn't have. I enjoyed doing that.

Now I find, that all of the people I have most in common with, made their last ratings sometime between 2015 and 2018.

That makes me really sad.

This website has so much potential, but in between the majority of 1920's-1960's films that constantly come up on my recommendations list - there has only really been one film recommended to me that I actually liked.

I know website and tech moves on all the time.

But is critiker worth spending more energy on? Give me one reason, and I will persist another 2 weeks.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Re: I am new - I am feeling sad - is Critiker past it's sell by date?

Post by iconogassed »

rocketly wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:58 pm
Now I find, that all of the people I have most in common with, made their last ratings sometime between 2015 and 2018.

That makes me really sad.
Why? Aren't those users' ratings still a source of presumably hundreds or thousands of implicit recommendations? I have kumpels who haven't rated anything in 10 years that I still get titles from.

It also seems a little odd to complain that you've only found one worthwhile recommendation in two weeks. How many other recommended movies could you have watched in that time? It's a very small sample size in any case. Respectfully, I think it's self-defeating to expect Criticker to be some magical tech that finds you loads of movies you love right away (and to let the technical performance of any website or app or whatever cause you such sadness).

My suggestion is to chill, watch movies, and keep rating. It's unclear to me if you mean that you've already rated everything you've seen, but either way the engine works much better with a larger amount of ratings.

TychoCelchuu
357 Ratings

Post by TychoCelchuu »

I have added hundreds and hundreds of movies to my "to watch" list via Criticker. Lots of those are in part based on people who haven't added many new ratings. That's fine with me. I don't care if I get recommendations for a 1960s movie from someone who last rated a movie in 2018. If their tastes match mine, then it's a good recommendation. Criticker still gives me scores for newer movies too, because enough people have rated those. But even if it only gave me scores for older movies, it would still be the most useful movie site on the Internet. Nowhere else gives me predictions as useful and accurate as Criticker's. That combined with the ability to sort through the database in countless ways (e.g. to find the best 1970s British comedies that I haven't watched yet) is invaluable.

Moribunny
207 Ratings

Post by Moribunny »

I've been on Criticker for over 18 years, and still use it nonstop. That should tell you all you need to know.

AFlickering
287 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

i'll say the same thing i say to everyone who posts threads like this: you don't have enough ratings for it to be deadly accurate yet. i'm always proven right when i click the poster's profile afterwards, and you are no exception. based on your scale you've also rated waaaaaay more stuff you like than dislike, which is also going to confuse the algorithm. it requires the amounts of liked and disliked stuff to be at least somewhat balanced to work properly, that's really its main limitation as a system.

and yeah, whether they're active or not is irrelevant to the usefulness of a given TCI really, except when it comes to the PSIs of new movies i guess. i do wish certain people would come back, but the same is true of the other sites i frequent, some will just move on with their lives over the years and some probably don't even watch movies anymore. always happens on sites that are around a long time.

oh, final suggestion: don't use the recommendations page, if that's what you've been doing. i've been here a thousand years and never got the slightest use out of it. go to the full database and sort by PSI.

and final final suggestion: consider navigating to the 'update personal information' page and increasing the 'films in common' percentage, this will remove TCIs who are matching with you based on too small of a sample size.