Sight and Sound poll (2022 edition)

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
jal90
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Sight and Sound poll (2022 edition)

Post by jal90 »

AFlickering wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:08 pm
i find the inclusion of the likes of GET OUT, MOONLIGHT and PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE very silly and, actually, the idea that these films are the pinnacle of black/gay cinema is extremely straight 'n white to me--almost more insulting than sticking with 100% dead white men. i wish the selections from those minority groups were more in line with the female representation, which i'm actually very happy with. i think *for the most part* they reflect actual knowledge and deep exploration rather than just being token agenda-driven flavour of the month stuff. absolutely lovely to see something like WANDA in the top 50. JEANNE DIELMAN at #1 is bold, but the right kind of bold in my opinion, regardless of my personal feelings on the film.
The list like every other list can be significantly improved, but speaking of black rep for instance, there's also La noire de... and Touki Bouki in there, both highly recognized anti-colonial staples that were not made in the last few years. Anyway I think there is a fair mix of reasons behind such a heterogeneous list and Get out, Moonlight, Portrait of a lady on fire and Parasite are not seen as "the pinnacle", they are seen as works that have stood out in recent film history and have transcended the "flavor of the month" status... for a very long while actually, they are films that people come back to all the time and they are still talked about even in this era of fast and cheap consumption of media. They are fine picks for what they are: representations of what kind of stuff in the last decade has moved beyond immediacy and become -so far but enough- longstanding cult material.