Academy Awards: best picture not nominated for best director?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
livelove
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Academy Awards: best picture not nominated for best director?

Post by livelove »

I struggle to fully grasp how the director of a best picture nominee might not be nominated for best director ?

And incidentally: Why isn't the director of the best picture automatically best director ?

Thanks for any explanation.

(These are general questions and not related to the 95th Academy Awards.)

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Re: Academy Awards: best picture not nominated for best director?

Post by iconogassed »

livelove wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:29 pm
I struggle to fully grasp how the director of a best picture nominee might not be nominated for best director ?
You struggle to fully grasp how a category with more than five nominations isn't duplicated in a category with exactly five nominations?

Additionally, the nominees for best director are decided on through just the directors' branch.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

iconogassed wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:17 pm
You struggle to fully grasp
yes, why else would I ask ?

iconogassed wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:17 pm
how a category with more than five nominations isn't duplicated in a category with exactly five nominations?
yes, but that's seen from an organizational/housekeeping point of view. I am rather wondering about the artistic point of view if you can understand me. If not I can try to explain.

ehk2
7 Ratings

Post by ehk2 »

the first and maybe the easiest answer that I thought is that movies are not solely the products of directors. just think of all the creative process and so different motivations and considerations behind the productions (+among so diverse genres)... unless you have a very strict "auteur" view of cinema?

howler19
249 Ratings

Post by howler19 »

livelove wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:53 am
yes, but that's seen from an organizational/housekeeping point of view. I am rather wondering about the artistic point of view if you can understand me. If not I can try to explain.
But the answer to your first question is organizational. It's impossible to nominate all directors of a best picture nominee under the current rules, no matter what artistic view you take. The second question is debatable however and I think iconogassed and ehk2 provided good answers for it.

coffee
0 Ratings

Post by coffee »

Think of it as armies and war. You can be an amazing leader and commander and still lose the war. And you can be a mediocre general yet still win anyway.

Malcym
0 Ratings

Post by Malcym »

The whole membership selects the Best Picture nominees. Best Director nominees are only chosen by the Directors' branch, so there will always be discrepancies.