Character limit for mini-reviews

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Harmonica
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Character limit for mini-reviews

Post by Harmonica »

Hi, grats on the update. One of the most useful sites around so nice to see it's had a spring cleaning (or summer cleaning..).

Couple of things I have noticed - when submitting mini-reviews there is no character limit mentioned, despite comments getting cut off. Also, when you run over the word limit by a lot you sometimes get an error message - unfortunately I can't seem to replicate this right now.

It would be really useful to have a character counter next to the text box that shows how many characters you have left available to type with.

Users pages aren't populated with stuff like top films or reviews at all, it just has filler text (like 'the users favourite film goes here') as far as I can tell - but maybe this is exactly that at the moment.

Rob

Harmonica
0 Ratings

Post by Harmonica »

Additionally.. I was wondering whether we could get a quicker way to adjust scores, the up and down arrows were alright, but maybe some kind of arrows + javascript on the page to move the score up instantly.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Glad you like the changes! You're right about the fact that we need (at the very least) to warn users when they've exceeded the character limit of mini-reviews. We're thinking about increasing that limit, anyway. This content generated by users' reviews is probably the best thing about Criticker, and it's a shame to limit it. Anyway, we do have plans to introduce either a character-counter, or a field which won't allow you to type any more.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

About your second point, on the Film List page, you should be able to directly edit the score you've given a film. If you click on the "+" sign next to each film, you should see an "edit score" button. That's why we've disposed of the up/down arrows. Let me know if it doesn't work!

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

We've just released a new update: a Mini-Review character counter. We still limit Mini-Reviews to 500 characters, but now you can see how close to the limit you're getting. Details are at the blog