Improve TCI algorithm

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
MockHamill
12 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Improve TCI algorithm

Post by MockHamill »

I think the algorithm needs to be improved. It should give greater importance to tier 10-8 movies and less to the other ones. As it is now it has the same impact on TCI if someone ranks your favourite movie as Tier 7 as if they would rank one of your Tier 5 movies as Tier 2.

People probably use this site in order to find great movies that they have not seen yet. Higher precision on the top end of the scale is more important then high precision on the low end.

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Re: Improve TCI algorithm

Post by Luna6ix »

this has been brought up before, with many different suggestions on how to do it. i think that if so many people want it changed, but don't agree on how to change it then it should stay the way it is. on top of that the moderators don't seem too keen on the idea.

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

It ain't broke.

astrakhan
0 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

I'm not fussed about the algorithm, but I think it would be loads more user-friendly if they were able to map the score onto a percentage scale where the lowest possible TCI equates to 100% and the highest TCI to 0%. Then they could call it your match percentage and the new users wouldn't be turned off by mysterious acronyms like TCI.

prowler
10 Ratings

Post by prowler »

hmm yeah but that would be confusing cos your best match still probably isn't an actual 100% match.

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

astrakhan wrote:I'm not fussed about the algorithm, but I think it would be loads more user-friendly if they were able to map the score onto a percentage scale where the lowest possible TCI equates to 100% and the highest TCI to 0%. Then they could call it your match percentage and the new users wouldn't be turned off by mysterious acronyms like TCI.

yeah, i brought that up once before, and got a response that basically said that the percentages which are our highest TCI would be so low that people would be off-put by the idea that your highest TCI is something like 4% i suppose i'm going to have to agree with it now, simply because anyone who really wants to figure out what percentage their TCI is can get it, and it would probably be a lot of work for the moderators.

astrakhan
0 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

I realise that the maths would have to be fudged, but if a dating site can tell me that one person is a 97% match and another is a 4% match, surely it's possible to do the same here.