Annoyed by Tier distribution

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Yes, the system is flawed. Yes, it works only if all people see the same amount of good/bad/mediocre movies. It would be much more useful if the tiers were based on film quality (ie comparing my good ratings to your good ratings) than quantity (comparing my bottom percentage to your bottom percentage). For a guy like me, who sees an overwhelming amount of OK/good/great movies compared to mediocre/bad movies this system is pretty useless. As it is, Criticker compares films I\'ve given 75 (meaning ok) to other people\'s 30/40 ratings (usually meaning bad/mediocre) and creates psi\'s and compatible users on that principle. Basically, the system assumes I dislike movies I actually kinda like, and the movie recommendations are based on users who also dislike what I like - although Criticker considers we have a similar taste. And the more movies I rate, the worse it gets.

The solution Criticker offers is purely cosmetic. Even if all my 75\'s went from red to yellow or green, and said \"decent\" instead of \"bad\" (like right now), it wouldn\'t change what\'s happening underneath. I can\'t really see that this is something you can tweak by changing your ratings. Truth of the matter is, there really are big differences in how many good or bad movies people see or want to rate.

Here\'s a conundrum: My PSI for the movie Penny Serenade (1941) is 90, which for me means \"great\", something like Seventh Seal, 39 steps or Pulp Fiction. Criticker considers my 90 to be tier 7 (\"decent\"). My PSI is based on the five people who have rated the movie 75/75/67/30/50. Now I bet if I talked with these five guys, none of them would call the movie \"great\", most probably they think it\'s \"good\", \"decent\" or \"bad\", depending on their rating. What good are the PSI\'s for me? Aren\'t I just a waste of space on your fine site?

Is there really no fix for our problem? I guess the reason, why alot of us bother complaining, is that this is such a great site otherwise. Sure there are other sites, but each of them has some kind of fundamental flaw similar to this one here.

KGB
0 Ratings

Post by KGB »

When I began using Criticker, I wasn\'t very picky. To be honet, my taste was a complete mess, and it showed in the trainwreck that was my rankings. They were all messed up. I tried to put tiers between 10-20, 20-30, 30-40 but the fact was that 60-something should have been a tier 3 already. I had a lot of crappy film in the \'7\' tier, which I liked... Until I noticed I don\'t really liked them. Rearranging my tiers gave me a better taste, it made me have a good look at each film and ask whether I like it or not. As FirtFortDanga said, if you like almost every film that bumps into you, well, that\'s really your problem.
The system is flawed, yeah, but that doesn\'t give you the right to come here and act like an ass. Criticker has a nice concept behind it, and people who used it rather got tired of it or learnt to DEAL WITH IT. If you don\'t like it, go ahead and build your own site. I\'ll check it out.

endgame
0 Ratings

Re: Annoyed by Tier distribution

Post by endgame »

One solution could be:

0-19 for all users = Tier 1

20-39 for all users = Tier 2

70-80 for all users Tier 9

90-100 for all users = Tier 10

-------

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

The way I'd like to see it done, would be that the tiers would be set to adjectives: excellent, great, good, ok, not so good... People could still rate how they please, but they'd have to set the rating to certain adjectives, which would be the tiers. For example, my 40 means "it sucks" so it could be tier 1. Someone else's 40 could mean it's decent so it could be tier 4 or 5 or whatever.

(By the way, my original post and kgb's post were actually replies to fyngyrz's "annoyed by ranking system" post, don't know why this got separated. http://www.criticker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=202)

MmzHrrdb

Re:

Post by MmzHrrdb »

KGB wrote:if you like almost every film that bumps into you, well, that\'s really your problem

I dont't think this is a problem! Hey, when I was 15 I watched a lot of crap too, but eventually you learn how to pick and choose.

adrian
0 Ratings

Post by adrian »

my tiers were skewed also, since I rated many more great movies than bad ones, but I tried balancing this by rating a lot of crappy movies, and this helped. not an ideal solution, but better than nothing.