Improve PSI calculations

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
MockHamill
12 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Improve PSI calculations

Post by MockHamill »

I understand how PSI is currently generated but right now it is only quit good. I think by using the PSI as it is now, combined with meta-data tags about the films it could become much more accurate.

Take trilogies for instance. If you give the first two films in a trilogy a tier 5 rating it is extremely unlikely that you will give the 3rd film a tier 10 rating. But if your TCI people happen to rank the 3rd film as tier10 that is what the PSI will be.

So what I suggest is that criticker develops a formula that investigates the difference between the PSI for a movie and the actual tier you placed a movie in. Then the system could use the tags about the movies as a modifier to increase/decrease the PSI.

Say for instance that you typically give superhero movies 1.5 tiers higher grades then what the PSI is. Then the system knows that it can increase the PSI for superhero movies by 1.5 compared to the normal PSI calculations.

Same way about trilogies. If you give Toy Story 1 and 2 tier 5 grades and your normal PSI for the movies was tier 9 the system learns that it should apply a -4 modifier for toy story movies. So when your TCI people give Toy Story 3 a tier 10 grade your PSI becomes tier 6 instead of tier 10, which is much more likely to accurately predict the real score you give the movie.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Re: Improve PSI calculations

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for those suggestions! We've always wanted to keep the PSI calculations as simple as possible, so have consistently avoided introducing any new variables.

But we are thinking of allowing users to apply tweaks to their own calculations -- if we do go that way, we'll keep your ideas in mind.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Improve PSI calculations

Post by ShogunRua »

MockHamill wrote:I understand how PSI is currently generated but right now it is only quit good. I think by using the PSI as it is now, combined with meta-data tags about the films it could become much more accurate.

Take trilogies for instance. If you give the first two films in a trilogy a tier 5 rating it is extremely unlikely that you will give the 3rd film a tier 10 rating. But if your TCI people happen to rank the 3rd film as tier10 that is what the PSI will be.

Using meta-data tags is an old idea, but in my experience trying to write selection/search algorithms, it just doesn't work well.

Same way about trilogies. If you give Toy Story 1 and 2 tier 5 grades and your normal PSI for the movies was tier 9 the system learns that it should apply a -4 modifier for toy story movies. So when your TCI people give Toy Story 3 a tier 10 grade your PSI becomes tier 6 instead of tier 10, which is much more likely to accurately predict the real score you give the movie.

Uh, what if I gave one a tier 3 rating, and another a tier 7 rating? Then what would the PSI be for the third film under your suggestion?

If you want to create an algorithm, try using variables instead of very specific instances. I see no general ideas or methods in your first post.