Criticker: Now Accepting Television Series

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
rklenseth
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Criticker: Now Accepting Television Series

Post by rklenseth »

There is just one suggestion I would make for the TV entries. I would nix the "director" and "screenwriter" sections and replace it with a "creator" section. The creator is generally the main person associated with TV series and while some TV series keep the same small number of directors and screenwriters throughout their run most have far too many to be listed on a Criticker entry.

karamazov.
51 Ratings

Post by karamazov. »

rklenseth wrote:There is just one suggestion I would make for the TV entries. I would nix the "director" and "screenwriter" sections and replace it with a "creator" section. The creator is generally the main person associated with TV series and while some TV series keep the same small number of directors and screenwriters throughout their run most have far too many to be listed on a Criticker entry.

Yeah, I would agree with the supra, except to suggest keeping the director and screenwriter credits optional for TV entries, in addition to creator.

Also, "thanks," to Mike, for adding the new feature!

smuhu
0 Ratings

Post by smuhu »

Great to see this happen, thanks for the implementation!

Here are some further suggestions:

a) Change the url to http://www.criticker.com/series/Breaking_Bad or something like it. This would differentiate the types and be good for SEO.

b) Please add "creator" to tv shows as suggested before.

c) Reconsider season and episode ratings. Some shows vastly differ in quality when it comes to seasons. Some shine in their first season, others take some time. Therefore, I'd suggest you (A) have a general rating as you do have now but add (B) additional optional ratings for each season and (C) generate the average of (B) for the entire show based on the seasons and display it next to (A). This would put the general sensation of a show ("This show was great!") next to the in-depth review of individual seasons (Think of the varying quality of e.g. "Dexter"). Also, I too think that some shows would profit from episode ratings. Especially for non-serial shows like "The Simpsons" or "South Park". With these additional rating methods you could see the zenith and overall quality of a show (more stats and charts!). I think this would be great and most of all unique to Criticker, setting it aside from other sites offering similar services.

The show page will not necessarily get overstuffed by this. Have a look at moviepilot.de, where season ratings are hidden on sub-pages (http://www.moviepilot.de/serie/breaking-bad). For Criticker a tabbed solution like it is now used for "Ratings/Buy/Collections/Stats" seems like a fit.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for all the suggestions... we're making notes, and will think about implementing them. Having a "creator" is something we've considered; it seems to make sense. Kind of a different type of person, in addition and separate to Director, Screenwriter and Actor.

We have now fixed the bug with submitting a "Year". We'll keep you guys updated as we smooth out this new functionality.

Suture Self
0 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

I love how responsive you guys are to the community.

Y'all rock. <3

Knackys
0 Ratings

Post by Knackys »

Great news! Thanks!

I think the best is ranking by series. Ranking by season or episodes would be to much.

I can't wait to get some series recommendations!

dardan
57 Ratings

Post by dardan »

I have submitted some series, but I think just writing under the box of "screenwiters" on the submission page that in the case of a TV-series only the creators should be added. Creators still are just screenwiters and screenwriters are creators. That small and easy addition should be enough. Creating a whole new category seems like unnecessary work. Also it doesn't pick up the year , but instead just shows ().

VorpalKitten
0 Ratings

Post by VorpalKitten »

Okkervil wrote:Another thing that would be great would be to know on what volume of viewing a user is basing there series rating on. For example if they've seen every episode of every series or just watched the pilot and a few episodes and fucked it off!

This would be great to have somehow - episode 1 of BoJack Horseman was a legitimate 1/10 - but I was urged to watch more, and the series as a whole is more like 9/10

filmfreak88
0 Ratings

Post by filmfreak88 »

smuhu wrote:c) Reconsider season and episode ratings. Some shows vastly differ in quality when it comes to seasons. Some shine in their first season, others take some time. Therefore, I'd suggest you (A) have a general rating as you do have now but add (B) additional optional ratings for each season and (C) generate the average of (B) for the entire show based on the seasons and display it next to (A). This would put the general sensation of a show ("This show was great!") next to the in-depth review of individual seasons (Think of the varying quality of e.g. "Dexter"). Also, I too think that some shows would profit from episode ratings. Especially for non-serial shows like "The Simpsons" or "South Park". With these additional rating methods you could see the zenith and overall quality of a show (more stats and charts!). I think this would be great and most of all unique to Criticker, setting it aside from other sites offering similar services.

I agree regarding being able to rate by season. Seasons can vary wildly in quality. Most TV shows (at least those on cable) also tend to have a dominant thematic focus on a season to season basis. For me, this warrants a separate rating for each season. Or at least, there could be like a general rating for the show as a whole and then a subsection for the seasons if possible. I do agree that rating episodes will be too messy.

lisa-
192 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

i would be fine if you could just rate sub-parts of a TV series on the main page without it affecting any other part of the site like PSIs.