Criticker: Now Accepting Television Series

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
mpowell
1 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Criticker: Now Accepting Television Series

Post by mpowell »

"How can you justify adding 30-second shorts from 1902 to your database, but not Breaking Bad? What sense does that make?"

That has long been a question which users have put to us... and our answer has always been to squirm uncomfortably, and then suddenly point at something really exciting going on behind them, and slip away.

The truth is, there is no good justification, besides how it complicates things. But we've decided that we'll just have to accept the extra work. Because, really, we need to have Breaking Bad on our site.

If you go to the form used to submit films, you'll see a new field. This is "Type", where you'll choose whether you're adding a new film, new TV Series, Mini-Series, Short, etc. Please fill this field out accurately, as it will greatly help our moderators during the approval process. Please note that we're not yet accepting individual episodes or seasons... just the series themselves.

We kind of rushed this change out, so expect to find some errors and deficiencies. Please send any issues you discover to support@criticker.com, or make a note of them here in the forum. And thanks again for your patience -- we're fully aware how long some of you have been waiting for this.

td888
0 Ratings

Re: Criticker: Now Accepting Television Series

Post by td888 »

Great news. Thanks for adding it!

KasperL
156 Ratings

Post by KasperL »

Thanks =)

Btw: If you wonder why no one is commenting on your blog post, it's probably because of the bug I've been getting when trying to submit a comment. It says: "Error: please type a comment."

Anyway... I can't wait to use Criticker to discover TV shows. Awesome!

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Great news.
I have submitted 2 shows, but in preview mode it doesn't appear the "TV Series" bit (I chose it in the list) and neither does the year. Weird.

They're really good news, Criticker is almost complete :lol:

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

Hooray!

Ocelot
450 Ratings

Post by Ocelot »

I'd suggest having entries for separate seasons of TV shows, if only because they are so starkly different in quality in a lot of cases.

Seethruskin
2 Ratings

Post by Seethruskin »

Ocelot wrote:I'd suggest having entries for separate seasons of TV shows, if only because they are so starkly different in quality in a lot of cases.

They are one piece of media though. I dunno you don't get to separately rate the beginning, middle, and end of a movie so why is it any different with a TV show? If you have to add TV shows please don't do it by separate season. That would just complicate things and fill up kumpel feeds with TV season shit.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Well said.

It's about recommendations. e.g if someone I trust rates the first season Tier 6, and the second and third Tier 9/10, it's not going to make any difference to whether I watch it or not. At best a mini-review like, "It's worth enduring the first few episodes . . " will adequately explain.

Simpsons is Tier 9/10 regardless of the later half. Early King of the Hill is shaky, but that doesn't make any difference to how I feel about the show as a whole; the potential it met.

But maybe I rate differently.

-----
Thanks for adding this feature! Also the way you've done it ('Type') is ace. Cheers!

dardan
57 Ratings

Post by dardan »

Thanks for adding this feature, but are you seriously considering allowing every single episode to be added? Wont this horribly skew the TCI/PSIs? I think it is safe to assume that if you rank breaking bad in tier 10, then that will mean you will rank ~90% of the 62 individual episodes in either tier 10 or 9 as well. If some others do this as well, then they will easily become your top TCIs and heavily influence your PSIs. It's like letting 'The Godfather' count for 50x in your TCI calculations or to have 50x the weight compared to other movies. It seems like a lot of extra work that would only have negative consequences or very little benefit.

I realize that 30 sec. films are allowed to be ranked, but two wrongs dont make a right (I think it is impossible to rank a 30 sec movie and subsequently for it to have any meaning that could be of use in the TCI calcs.)

lisa-
192 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

sweet

btw, i agree that breaking it down by episode would be terrible. doing it by season is ok, i suppose season 2 is like a film sequel or something.

edit: i'm sure you guys are aware by now that the year of release isn't working