Finally It's Here: Mobile-Friendly Criticker

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
mpowell
1 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Finally It's Here: Mobile-Friendly Criticker

Post by mpowell »

Wait... is that a picture of Criticker on a mobile phone? And it doesn't look totally messed-up? What's going on?!

Responsive Criticker

We've finally introduced changes that will make Criticker usable on devices of any screen width. It's something we should have done awhile ago (fine: years ago), but finally, Criticker will now work on smart phones tablets and desktops.

We've taken care to make sure that the good-old desktop version of Criticker hasn't changed (much). We haven't fundamentally altered the behavior or layout of the site, unless it was necessary. There's nothing we hate more than a website that decides to be "mobile-friendly", and suddenly the desktop version becomes ugly and unusable.

At the same time, all the features available in the big version of Criticker are also there in the mobile site. We've obviously had to condense and rearrange things, but it's all there.

You might notice a lot of confidence in the previous paragraphs. Sentences like "Criticker will work", and "Criticker hasn't changed". You might be thinking to yourself, that confidence is probably unwarranted. And you're right! In truth, we're not confident at all. These changes have touched every aspect of the site, from the stylesheets, to the javascript, to the backend database structure.

Criticker has grown beyond our capabilities to thoroughly test. The best we can do is throw new clothes on our chubby, sloppy toddler... then grab him before he runs out the door to make sure the grime is off his face, that his hair is mostly combed, and that he's got his shoes on the right feet. "Fine, you look alright, Criticker. Go out and play." As for any other problems regarding his new look, we'll have to wait for offended friends and neighbors to point them out.

(If it wasn't clear, you are the offended friends and neighbors in this analogy.)

We know that there are going to be problems. We did as much testing as we could, but at some point, it just becomes easier to release the changes and see what the community discovers. We're eager and nervous to hear your input, and we fully expect there to be major issues. But we think, once the dust settles, this will be a great new phase in Criticker's life. Already, a majority of our traffic comes from mobile devices -- and that was without a website that works properly on phones. We're excited about the future.

So let us know what you think! Please don't hesitate to point out problems, or suggest changes. The next few weeks are going to be busy, but we're confident that Criticker will soon be better than ever.

MacSwell
0 Ratings

Re: Finally It's Here: Mobile-Friendly Criticker

Post by MacSwell »

Rankings page is currently looking a little messed-up.

VinegarBob
30 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Same here. The site might be mobile friendly now but it doesn't seem very PC friendly anymore. :(

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Maaxwell wrote:Rankings page is currently looking a little messed-up.

Thanks for the catch -- it was due to a typo introduced during a little bit of last-minute "cleanup". Should look better now, can you check again?

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

VinegarBob wrote:Same here. The site might be mobile friendly now but it doesn't seem very PC friendly anymore. :(

Besides the ranking list, have you found something else that doesn't look good on desktop? We're going to be cleaning up bugs as quickly as possible.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

djross wrote:Drop down menus not working from numerous pages (e.g., profile page), so site essentially not navigable at the moment.

That's strange -- they work for us. Are they just not "dropping down"? And you say from numerous pages, but not from all of them? Which browser are you using? I might have to take a look. Anyone else experiencing this?

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

bof
0 Ratings

Post by bof »

mpowell wrote:
djross wrote:Drop down menus not working from numerous pages (e.g., profile page), so site essentially not navigable at the moment.

That's strange -- they work for us. Are they just not "dropping down"? And you say from numerous pages, but not from all of them? Which browser are you using? I might have to take a look. Anyone else experiencing this?

Same for me; for instance from the Stars You've Received page, the menus change colour when I hover over them but nothing happens when I click. Same from the main page.

I'm using Chrome, Win10. Oh, and it's a laptop with a touchscreen, if that matters, but I'm using a mouse.

That said, thanks for working on this!

ETA: And another thing, the search box seems messed up; when I click in it, the grey italic "Search criticker" text doesn't disappear, I have to manually delete it before typing in my search term. When I do, the search term is still in grey and italics and it doesn't seem to autosuggest anything before I hit "Go". It does give me the correct search results after that, though. ETA2: Except the search results page doesn't recognise if I've already rated a movie, instead it just shows my probable score for it.
Last edited by bof on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

Using iPhone, the drop down menus do not appear, so there isn't a way to navigate to many of the pages (forums, collections, database, etc.).