Is it possible to add rating charts to this site?

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
JurijFedorov
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Is it possible to add rating charts to this site?

Post by JurijFedorov »

Is it possible to add charts to this site? I'm looking for a site where I can upload my IMDb ratings too and then see charts for all the movies I have watched.

I made some charts for my ratings just to show that this can be done. They don't look good but it's just to show what can be done with the Excel file you download from IMDb. I will need to download an Excel file where the country of making is included to make a world map too. Then clicking on a country will show you a list of movies you have watched from that country. In Tableau it's very simple to do and no trouble at all. But obviously some other software should used that can read user uploaded files. R Shiny seems to be made for this.

https://public.tableau.com/views/MyIMDb ... _count=yes

CriticalCat
0 Ratings

Re: Is it possible to add rating charts to this site?

Post by CriticalCat »

This looks great! Is there any way a user can input their own data into your charts?

JurijFedorov
0 Ratings

Post by JurijFedorov »

"You'll enjoy an ads-free version of the site, as well as a few special statistical features we can't afford to make available to everyone."

Damn, so it's actually not possible because of the monetary cost involved with it. This is a big letdown. But surely something could be done to fix this issue? Surely it can be done cheaper? I also cannot even check out the charts without paying for it. Which is kinda silly.

And the chart I made was made in the free version of Tableau. It does not have an upload option for random people visiting the website. So it can only be done via the software itself.

JurijFedorov
0 Ratings

Post by JurijFedorov »

Every single site I have visited have these kind of excuses. They are not that interesting to me really. Saying that they don't have the time or energy means nothing. What does that mean? That they work on the site 1 hour a week? 2 hours a week? There are milions of people online who love to get in on these kind of projects. Even IMDb uses these excuses "we are busy, we have so much going on, so much to do". Okay, fine. But what's the planned projects? What's the next step?

I think it must be a price issue because I don't think they would be lying to people directly on their site. But these charts could be made on the user PC's. So the problem is a wrong design choice. Making more money is ALWAYS a problem. For all people in the world. But it surely should not make sites loose functions.

MacSwell
0 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

I think they offer a damn good service here - I've not come across a better film ranking and recommendation site on the internet, so I'm happy to throw a few bucks their way each month.

JurijFedorov
0 Ratings

Post by JurijFedorov »

Maaxwell wrote:I think they offer a damn good service here - I've not come across a better film ranking and recommendation site on the internet, so I'm happy to throw a few bucks their way each month.

Which is completely besides my point.

JurijFedorov
0 Ratings

Post by JurijFedorov »

I didn't compare this site to IMDb. I actually compared it to a chart I made in no time in some software I barely know how to use. It very much surprises me that I can do something that actual programmers can't do anywhere online.

It may be a great site once you pay for it. I really wouldn't know. For me the chart stuff seems essential to such a site. But I guess it's not essential and is something that you may or may not get if you pay for it. There is no way for me to even see these functions unless I start paying for the product. Which again leaves me perplexed. I have never bought anything before without knowing what it was.