Filtering by filmmaker - identical names

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
iconogassed
29 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Filtering by filmmaker - identical names

Post by iconogassed »

It seems that if I am trying to filter by a filmmaker who shares their name with another filmmaker in the database, I cannot filter by both names, only one.

For example, there are two Richard Kellys that show up: the director of Donnie Darko, and someone who worked on a Dogme95 documentary. No matter which one I filter my ratings by, it seems to filter by the other Richard Kelly.

Same thing for the Steve McQueens. I can only filter by the American actor and not the British director.

There is an additional layer of confusion in that there is no way to see which of the identically-named filmmakers you are filtering by before you filter by them. I know this might be difficult to implement with the current interface, but some way to distinguish them would be nice. Maybe their most popular title, via hover?

mpowell
1 Ratings

Re: Filtering by filmmaker - identical names

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for pointing this out! You're certainly right ... I'm not sure immediately how the best way to fix this is, but there's got to be something we can do :)

We'll take a look and hopefully get something in place!

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

I think we've addressed this situation, by adding the most popular title of the filmmaker to the autocomplete, when there is more than one filmmaker with the same name.

Thanks for pointing it out!

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

Good stuff, thanks!

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

Currently, you can't filter by any of the filmmakers who have the bracketed titles. Not in collections nor user ratings nor any other part of the database. Selecting any of them just refreshes the page.

Which led me to another issue. The bracketed title only shows up when the two (or more) identical names appear together and thus must be distinguished. For example, if you type "David L...", David Lynch pops up at the top, without the title in brackets. That David Lynch you can filter by. But if you keep typing until there are only the three different David (T.) Lynches in the autocomplete, then they have the bracketed titles, and you can't filter by any of them.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for reporting this... ugh, I'm not sure what happened there because it was working. A bug must have been recently introduced.

We'll track it down and get it fixed up!

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

iconogassed wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:08 am
Currently, you can't filter by any of the filmmakers who have the bracketed titles. Not in collections nor user ratings nor any other part of the database. Selecting any of them just refreshes the page.
Just a friendly bump for this irksome bug that continues to make many prolific people un-filterable on all database pages. David Lynch, John Waters, Jeff Nichols, Michael Shannon, Bill Murray, Steve McQueen(s), Ben Foster, Sean Baker, Ricardo Montalban...

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

This one should be fixed now! Let us know if it's still causing any problems.