Filmmaker List calculations and problem with averages

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
djross
10 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Filmmaker List calculations and problem with averages

Post by djross »

If I go to the Filmmaker List page, and filter by Actors with at least 10 rated titles and order by Avg Score, it tells me that Geraldine Chaplin is tenth on the list, with an average of 76. If I click on her name, the box that pops up tells me that the average is 76.4 (but the first number of 76 can't be a rounding issue, because the Filmmaker List always goes to the first decimal place). But also, that box tells me that I have only rated 9 titles by Chaplin, not 10. If I then go to Geraldine Chaplin's filmmaker page, I can see why there is a discrepancy between 9 or 10 titles: I have seen 9 films by Chaplin and one TV episode. But according to the Chaplin page, the average for those 10 titles is 68.8, much below 76 (and obviously also below 76.4).

By doing the arithmetic, I can see how these three different averages were calculated:
1. The average of 76.4 is the average score of the 9 film titles I've seen (9 scores added, divided by 9);
2. The average of 76 is the average of the 9 films + 1 episode I've seen (10 scores added, divided by 10)
3. The average of 68.8 is the average of the 9 films I've seen, but divided by 10 (in other words, not counting the TV episode as a score to be added, but nevertheless counting it as one of the total number of titles)!

Clearly there are multiple problems here, and the ultimate cause of all of them is inconsistency about the way TV episodes are treated. In terms of the Filmmaker List, the situation is that Chaplin is included on the 10-minimum list because I have rated 10 titles in total (9 films and a TV episode), and, consistently, the average listed is indeed 76, the average of all 10 titles. But the pop-up box says 9 titles, with the higher average of 76.4, so the pop-up box is saying that Chaplin shouldn't be included on the 10-minimum list. Finally, the filmmaker page for Chaplin lists her average score as the nonsensical 68.8, which is achieved by only counting 9 titles (the films) but still dividing by 10.

It seems like decisions have to be made about how to consistently treat TV episodes in relation to these kinds of functions.

Victoriouz
23 Ratings

Re: Filmmaker List calculations and problem with averages

Post by Victoriouz »

djross wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:08 am
3. The average of 68.8 is the average of the 9 films I've seen, but divided by 10 (in other words, not counting the TV episode as a score to be added, but nevertheless counting it as one of the total number of titles)!

(...)

Finally, the filmmaker page for Chaplin lists her average score as the nonsensical 68.8, which is achieved by only counting 9 titles (the films) but still dividing by 10.
Just to add to the post in case it makes it easier to correct this particular issue, it happens because when a person is listed on the credits for one or more episodes but isn't listed among the stars of the show on the main page, the "Titles you've rated" section on the filmmaker page counts its rating as a 0.

Here's an example to make it clearer:

I rated 7 titles with Tricia Helfer; She starred in 5 of them, but she was only a guest star in 1 episode of Supernatural and 1 episode of the anthology Creepshow.

I did rate both shows:

The thing is, the average of 52.71 on her page is because the site is considering
Battlestar Galactica (2003) - 85
Battlestar Galactica (2004) - 82
Supernatural - 0 (instead of 76; and it appears visually as the TCI of 70 as if I hadn't rated it as "Probable Score")
BSG - The Plan - 72
BSG - Razor - 67
Ascension - 63
Creepshow - 0 (instead of 56; and it appears visually as the TCI of 80)

If it considered my ratings for SPN and Creepshow as 76 and 56, her average would be 71,57.

And just a request - I hope Criticker doesn't get rid of the total average, which is currently displayed on the filmmaker list [76 on djross' example], even if it's moved somewhere else, as I really enjoy playing around with this feature.
To compare, my avg. for Tricia Helfer on the filmmaker list is 83.7, which I feel is more accurate than the 71.57 or 73.8 (just the avg for the main BSG shows+movies and Ascension; it's the 76.4 on djross' example), as she missed a few episodes of BSG, plus it makes sense to me for the overall ratings of SPN/Creepshow to not affect her score, just her work on those individual episodes (both rated higher than my average for the shows - 100/80 x 76/56).

djross
10 Ratings

Post by djross »

Since it has been three weeks since I posted this problem, I'll mention it another time, just in case the administrators accidentally overlooked it.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

It's actually been almost a year since I first reported this (though not as comprehensively as you two!).

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for reporting this ... It's definitely got something to do with the TV Episodes, as you say, and we'll take a look into making sure these are always treated the same.

Thanks again!