Generate TCI

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
mpowell
1 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Generate TCI

Post by mpowell »

movieboy wrote:Generate TCI regenerates your TCI with 50 different users.
How are these 50 users chosen? Is it random?

Yeah, the 50 users regenerated on the TCI List are chosen at random from a pool of users that have enough films in common with you.

movieboy wrote:Also when else is TCI regenerated - when you go to a user's profile page, your TCI with him
is regenerated? When else is TCI automatically regenerated?

We generate a batch of TCIs every time you rank a film. Also periodically, all your TCIs are updated.

movieboy wrote:Also if it's confidential information, I would like to know...

We don't share detailed statistics about the user base, but I can tell you we currently have about 25,000 users. Also, we display the number of film rankings on the bottom of the page, so you can see it growing and get a sense of how active the site is that way.

Quicky
0 Ratings

Post by Quicky »

mpowell wrote:Also, we display the number of film rankings on the bottom of the page, so you can see it growing and get a sense of how active the site is that way.

This is the latest version of my graph of this statistic (from May up to now):

Unfortunately, so far the Mashable and LifeHacker posts don't seem to have generated any real increase of the active community. Though maybe it just takes time ;).

Loerst
0 Ratings

Post by Loerst »

mpowell wrote:We generate a batch of TCIs every time you rank a film. Also periodically, all your TCIs are updated.

If I'm not asking too much, those periodic updates - how often do they happen? Is this a matter of days, weeks?

When I pay 1,5 $ for regenerating all PSIs, are all TCIs refreshed before too? Because when I ranked many movies in a few days (I just kept clicking "rank more") I would love to have all PSIs refreshed, but after ranking 50 movies in a day my TCIs are all messed and PSI based on those TCIs just wouldn't be real, well, at least not in a way it is supposed to be.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Dear mpowell, could you jump in and clarify? I'm desperately searching for answers :(

Loerst wrote:
mpowell wrote:We generate a batch of TCIs every time you rank a film. Also periodically, all your TCIs are updated.

If I'm not asking too much, those periodic updates - how often do they happen? Is this a matter of days, weeks?

From my own observations, I cannot confirm this. As described in this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3648 I have raised my threshold for acceptable TCIs more than 5 weeks ago, and my TCIs have NOT been updated ever since. (None of my 150 best TCIs meets the threshold, so if TCIs actually had been updated, all those TCIs would have disappeared from my best TCI list by now.)

Ranking movies ("We generate a batch of TCIs every time you rank a film") also did not seem to affect my best TCI list.

The only thing actually affecting my TCI list is clicking on user profiles or clicking on "generate 50 TCIs".

Loerst wrote: When I pay 1,5 $ for regenerating all PSIs, are all TCIs refreshed before too? Because when I ranked many movies in a few days (I just kept clicking "rank more") I would love to have all PSIs refreshed, but after ranking 50 movies in a day my TCIs are all messed and PSI based on those TCIs just wouldn't be real, well, at least not in a way it is supposed to be.

I have about the same problem. My problem is, that I ranked ~50 movies just to see how the site works and get familiar with the concept. After ranking those ~50 movies, I created lots of TCIs manually by hitting the "generate 50 TCIs" button over and over again. Now all of my best 1000 TCIs are calculated based on those ~50 movies, but I have about 1000 movies rated on IMDB which I have not yet imported to criticker. When I import all of those 1000 movie ratings, I obviously want that to affect my TCI list accordingly, but the problem is: it won't. I rated new movies (I am now at 66 movies), but that did not have any effect on my best TCI list. I seem to be stuck with the TCIs that I have created manually and which are only based on the 50 initially ranked movies, so they do not reflect the 16 movies I ranked subsequently. Do you see, what I am trying to explain?

I was playing with the idea to delete my account, import all ~1000 movie ratings and only afterwards create TCIs manually. But it does no really solve the problem, because then all my ~1000 movies are taken into account, but - again - no new movies I would see and rank afterwards. So it kind of defeats the purpose of this site, if all your TCIs are never updated.

You can generate new TCIs manually, but that still is not the same as updating your existing TCIs.
The only way I currently see, is to click on the user profiles of all your 1000 best TCIs.
But are you expecting users to make a 1000 clicks in order to update their TCIs? Because this is obviously quite tedious.

mpowell wrote:
movieboy wrote:Generate TCI regenerates your TCI with 50 different users.
How are these 50 users chosen? Is it random?

Yeah, the 50 users regenerated on the TCI List are chosen at random from a pool of users that have enough films in common with you.

I also cannot confirm this. I just clicked on "generate 50 more TCIs" to test this and only 1 of the 50 generated TCIs had enough films in common with me. The other 49 TCIs did not.

It seems that the "the 50 users regenerated on the TCI List are" not "chosen at random from a pool of users that have enough films in common with you" but actually from all users.