Movie Lull Season

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Stewball
Your TCI: na

Re: Movie Lull Season

Post by Stewball »

Uh oh, just heard on the news that, twelve hours out, lines are already forming for the midnight showing of The Hunger Games. Now I'm worried, but I'm still going to go (tomorrow!), even though I may be sacrificing myself on the alter of the ultimate art in my own personal Cinéma vérité.

I who may be about to die (virtually, I hope, at most), salute you. ImageImage

TheDenizen

Post by TheDenizen »

Opening day showings of Hunger Games in and around Toronto have been completely sold out for days.

Stewball

Post by Stewball »

TheDenizen wrote:Opening day showings of Hunger Games in and around Toronto have been completely sold out for days.

It must be really good, or really bad.

TheDenizen

Post by TheDenizen »

The hype machine is certainly running at full power.

Stewball

Post by Stewball »

TheDenizen wrote:The hype machine is certainly running at full power.

Yeah, but then it takes on a life of its own. If they knew gin this up reliably, they'd be doin' it all the time. I guess the lesson is never to underestimate or rely on the power of teenage infatuation, particularly girls. There's never been a similar male reaction that the female reaction we've seen to Elvis, or the Beatles, or Twilight. :lol: (at least the first two had some style and quality or something).

TheDenizen

Post by TheDenizen »

Stewball wrote:There's never been a similar male reaction that the female reaction we've seen to Elvis, or the Beatles, or Twilight. :lol: (at least the first two had some style and quality or something).

The closest thing I've seen was the recent explosion of the popularity of Mad Men/Christina Hendricks' breasts.

hellboy76

Post by hellboy76 »

Stewball wrote:
There's never been a similar male reaction that the female reaction we've seen to Elvis, or the Beatles, or Twilight. :lol: (at least the first two had some style and quality or something).

Closest thing I can think of is Pro Wrestling in it's prime.

nauru

Post by nauru »

I don't know about Mad Men being equivalent. Has it even managed to get the highest ratings on AMC? Let alone highest ratings in a wider context? I heard Breaking Bad and the Walking Dead got a lot more viewers than Mad Men got... not sure if this is still true. And outside AMC there's Spartacus which also has ratings higher than or equal to Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire also higher if I recall correctly, and both have rather fervent predominantly male fan bases.

If anything, I'd name Star Wars as the franchise millions of men fawn over in a way that is comparable to Elvis or Twilight. The difference is that 50 years later most women have gotten over Elvis, yet for men Star Wars never seems to get old.

stuie299

Post by stuie299 »

There is a pretty decent movie in theaters called Jeff Who Lives at Home. Nothing great but it should be good enough to hold you over until higher quality films are released.

As far as upcoming movies go, this is what I'm interested in seeing.

Moonrise Kingdom
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Damsels in Distress
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dictator
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
MIB3
Sound of Noise
Neighborhood Watch

nauru

Post by nauru »

If Neighbourhood watch cut Jonah Hill from the cast, and changed the plot (or just re-edited what they've already got) so it was an exploitation flick inspired by this Trayvon nonsense in the US, I'd see it for sure!