How do you obtain the films you watch?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Spunkie
Your TCI: na

Re: How do you obtain the films you watch?

Post by Spunkie »

I don't understand this computer=small screen thing that most seem to be convinced about. You can hook most modern tvs or a projector to any computer with a simple dvi/hdmi cable.

stuie299

Post by stuie299 »

Spunkie wrote:I don't understand this computer=small screen thing that most seem to be convinced about. You can hook most modern tvs or a projector to any computer with a simple dvi/hdmi cable.

And if for some reason that doesn't work then its not like its absolutely horrible watching a movie on a laptop. Sure your overall viewing experience might not be as good but its still the same film. You're gonna like or dislike the film primarily on the basis of the film itself regardless of how you watch it.

Svengali

Post by Svengali »

stuie299 wrote:
Spunkie wrote:I don't understand this computer=small screen thing that most seem to be convinced about. You can hook most modern tvs or a projector to any computer with a simple dvi/hdmi cable.

And if for some reason that doesn't work then its not like its absolutely horrible watching a movie on a laptop. Sure your overall viewing experience might not be as good but its still the same film. You're gonna like or dislike the film primarily on the basis of the film itself regardless of how you watch it.

:ugeek: 8-) :D :) ;)

ayall

Post by ayall »

thank god for tech.

99.9% of the movies I watch a year are now from downloads.

downloads can then be streamed to anything,

i've got boxes of DVDs i haven't touched in years... just seems quicker to download then to hunt for that 1 dvd in the haystack.

theaters are reserved from those spell occasions; cult classics in small theaters or blockbusters in iMax/3D.

tonydal

Post by tonydal »

stuie299 wrote:...My guess is that the majority of people illegally download their content. Would this be a fare assessment?

Actually, it would be an unfare assessment (heehee!).

JooJoo

Post by JooJoo »

I don't normally blind buy many dvds (or BLURAYs as we're now calling them). Unless it's a director / writer / and, rarely, and actor I'm seriously into at that moment, that's the only time I'll normally do that. But I mainly go with downloads, and may be 10-15% netflix watches for a long time now.

I still feel the need to have a physical copy of a movie I really enjoyed, though. It just feels like the right thing to do, and there's a some really great distribution companies out there too. Criterion, Mastersofcinema, Second Run, (some) Anchor Bay & Kino. So I don't mind shelling out the cash when it comes to something I know for a certainty was worth it and, if from the aforementioned, probably packed with supplementary material of actual worth.The booklets are always a joy to read.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

stuie299 wrote:And if for some reason that doesn't work then its not like its absolutely horrible watching a movie on a laptop. Sure your overall viewing experience might not be as good but its still the same film. You're gonna like or dislike the film primarily on the basis of the film itself regardless of how you watch it.

Yes, a lot of movies aren't too badly hampered by the small screen issue. However, it would be completely stupid to watch something like Lawrence of Arabia on a small screen, or a Godard feature, etc. They're still great movies but you can't experience them properly without a sufficiently-sized screen.

I guess, but you underestimate how lazy I am when it comes to technology. Plus I like to have my laptop available if I'm watching something -- especially if it's terrible (how else would I have gotten through Flesh for the Beast?)

stuie299

Post by stuie299 »

Svengali wrote:
stuie299 wrote:

:ugeek: 8-) :D :) ;)

My point is that their has to be something that the person likes about the film that makes them go back and watch it in a proper setting/format. Also that assumes he was talking about the sound quality,resolution, and aspect ratio. I think what he was actually talking about was how people watch movies on an iPhone. People generally watch movies on an iPhone when they're out and about and can't devote themselves to the entire film. They're constantly being bombarded with distractions and that is not how you should be watching a movie. Besides I was mainly talking about watching movies on a computer/laptop anyways.

klea

Post by klea »

Connect my laptop to my tv (via S-Video or HDMI, depending on which laptop) & then play movies from 1channel.ch

They've got a pretty good selection. If they don't have what I'm looking for, will usually head to demonoid or another torrent site

Just1n

Post by Just1n »

Majority of the films i watch i download from the net. Occasionally i will taker the missus to the movie house for a blockbuster.

I use a number of sites including Karagarga, Cinemageddon , Pass the Popcorn , Secret-Cinema and TorrentDay.