21st century directors: any great ones?

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
jal90
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: 21st century directors: any great ones?

Post by jal90 »

The more I watch, the more I'm convinced that we are currently living in the golden age of animation. Newer talents like Tomm Moore, Adam Elliot, Sylvain Chomet, Mamoru Hosoda, Makoto Shinkai, Yasuhiro Yoshiura, Hiromasa Yonebayashi, Masaaki Yuasa, Pete Docter, Rich Moore, Don Hertzfeldt. Also people like Michael Dudok de Wit, Signe Baumane or Mark Osbourne, who made their feature debut after a trajectory on short films and did great. Piotr Dumala is a different example in that he tried live action, it's a great movie nonetheless that I recommend.

navid.g
119 Ratings

Post by navid.g »

Denis Villeneuve - Arrival(tier 10), Prisoners(tier 9), Incendies(tier 9)
Asghar Farhadi - About Elly(tier 10), A Seperation(tier 9), Fireworks Wednesday(tier 9)
Steve McQueen - Shame(tier 10), Hunger(tier 9), 12 Years a Slave(tier 9)
Sam Mendes - American Beauty(tier 10), Skyfall(tier 9)
Pete Docter - Inside Out(tier 10), Up(tier 10), Monsters, Inc.(tier 9)

and if we accept the debut movies from 90's:
Christopher Nolan - The Dark Knight(tier 10), Memento(tier 10), Inception(tier 9), Interstellar(tier 9), The Prestige (tier 9)
David Fincher - Fight Club(tier 10), Seven(tier 10), Gone Girl(tier 10), The Game(tier 9), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo(tier 9)
Guy Ritchie - Snatch.(tier 10), Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels(tier 9), Sherlock Holmes(tier 9)
Brad Bird - The Iron Giant(tier 10), The Incredibles(tier 9)
Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan(tier 10), Requiem for a Dream(tier 10), The Fountain(tier 9)
Andrew Stanton - WALL-E(tier 10), Finding Nemo(tier 9)
Ang Lee - Life of Pi(tier 10), Brokeback Mountain(tier 9)

And those who have the potential to become included in my list:
Duncan Jones
Dan Gilroy
László Nemes
Tim Miller
Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
Ben Affleck
Richard Kelly
Bennett Miller
Alejandro González Iñárritu
Ken Lonergan
Wes Anderson

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

jal90 wrote:The more I watch, the more I'm convinced that we are currently living in the golden age of animation. Newer talents like Tomm Moore, Adam Elliot, Sylvain Chomet, Mamoru Hosoda, Makoto Shinkai, Yasuhiro Yoshiura, Hiromasa Yonebayashi, Masaaki Yuasa, Pete Docter, Rich Moore, Don Hertzfeldt. Also people like Michael Dudok de Wit, Signe Baumane or Mark Osbourne, who made their feature debut after a trajectory on short films and did great. Piotr Dumala is a different example in that he tried live action, it's a great movie nonetheless that I recommend.

made me curious about Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game, etc.). apparently a movie he's directed has been released today in Japan. The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl.

jal90
0 Ratings

Post by jal90 »

paulofilmo wrote:
jal90 wrote:The more I watch, the more I'm convinced that we are currently living in the golden age of animation. Newer talents like Tomm Moore, Adam Elliot, Sylvain Chomet, Mamoru Hosoda, Makoto Shinkai, Yasuhiro Yoshiura, Hiromasa Yonebayashi, Masaaki Yuasa, Pete Docter, Rich Moore, Don Hertzfeldt. Also people like Michael Dudok de Wit, Signe Baumane or Mark Osbourne, who made their feature debut after a trajectory on short films and did great. Piotr Dumala is a different example in that he tried live action, it's a great movie nonetheless that I recommend.

made me curious about Masaaki Yuasa (Mind Game, etc.). apparently a movie he's directed has been released today in Japan. The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl.

Yep, and he has another release on May, an original screenplay. Let's see how they go.

By the way, I'll take Mark Osborne out of my list, because I was thinking about The little prince, but the guy has made stuff earlier I haven't watched.

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

I couldn't get into Kaiba, but his Happy Machine entry into the Genius Party shorts collection pushed all my buttons. You can see/hear how much of it went into Adventure Time, and it strikes very much like a Black Mirror episode in its 15 min surreal onslaught.

chmul_cr0n
28 Ratings

Post by chmul_cr0n »

Zach Braff
Jared Hess
Charlie Kaufmann
Michel Gondry
Rian Johnson
Pascal Laugier
Tate Taylor
Jason Reitman
Adam McKay
Joseph Kosinski
Gareth Evans
Prachya Pinkaew
Judd Apatow
Sung-Hee Jo
Deab Deblois
Joss Whedon
Mark Neveldine & Brian Taylor
Nima Nourizadeh
Jeong-beom Lee
Sam Fell

...too easy. All of those fulfil the requirements, but I don't know if I'd call any of them great. Maybe Zach Braff, but only as a writer/director. Or Jeong-beom Lee.

Or Spike Jonze, who didn't make the cut anyway, because he didn't wait a year to make Being John Malkovich. :>

metalhank
0 Ratings

Post by metalhank »

I believe there are many films this century that are very entertaining, especially in the Sci-fi and Action genres.

I have four directors:

Len Wiseman - Tier 10; Underworld(2003), Total Recall(2012)
Frank Miller - Tier 10; Sin City(2005), Sin City: A Dame To Kill For(2014)
Neil Blomkamp - Tier 10; Chappie(2015), Tier 9; Elysium(2013)
Zack Snyder - Tier 10; 300(2007), Tier 9; Man Of Steel(2013)

These are some of my favorite directors overall, I'll gladly say there are plenty of good movies being released in the last 20 years.

JimiAntiloop
0 Ratings

Post by JimiAntiloop »

Paolo Sorrentino
Michel Gondry
Tarsem Singh

Documentarists
Alex Gibney
David Sieveking
Werner Boote
Erwin Wagenhofer

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Looking forward to more from Luca Guadagnino. I haven't seen the Suspiria remake yet. Ratings look contentious.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

Using djross's original criteria and taking tier 10 to be >89th percentile, tier 9 80-89th etc., the only one who qualifies for me is Andrew Bujalski:

Computer Chess (94p)
Mutual Appreciation (87)
Funny Ha-Ha (87)
+
Results (70)
Support the Girls (70)
Peoples House [short] (70)
Analog Goose [short] (33)
Beeswax (27)

As much as I like Results and Support the Girls, I hope he gets back to riskier and more "uncomfortable" stuff. Or, like, a musical. The riskiest of them all...

If I strain m'self stretching and count TV and shorts, then Ray McKinnon.

Rectify (98) [as creator, or any of the three episodes he directed. I think the S1 finale is one of the finest pieces of filmmaking ever made for television]
The Accountant (87) [35 minutes]
Chrystal (87)
+ Randy and the Mob (61)

Flannery O'Connor's name has been used to peddle a lot of junk across mediums, but I think McKinnon is the rare filmmaker to earn the comparison. Rarer, he forges ahead in new and completely unpredictable directions. Chrystal is among the strangest American debuts, as much in its own way as Gummo or Eraserhead, and in today's television landscape Rectify is/was unique in the truest sense of the word. Unfortunately, it's been 12 years since his last feature as director (the amusing if slight Randy and the Mob) and he hasn't sounded optimistic in interviews. At least we still get his great acting. Hoping he can draft off his roles in Ford v Ferrari and Chaos Walking and put something together.