"People who liked this movie also liked:"

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Pratchett3
69 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"People who liked this movie also liked:"

Post by Pratchett3 »

add a section to each movie's page showing other movies that are most correlated with that movie.

this will help find stuff that's similar to just that specific film

all the data you'd need is already there

mpowell
1 Ratings

Re: "People who liked this movie also liked:"

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for the suggestion. This is something which already have on our lists, and would love to introduce someday soon!

paulofilmo
5 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

This would be tidy. I've never seen it done in a satisfying way

Mist600
0 Ratings

Post by Mist600 »

Yes. Fine idea

but please institute
the spoiler blocker on mini-reviews first.

The current free floating spoilers danger down the right hand side of every movie's page is a real menance. :o

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

mpowell wrote:This is something which already have on our lists, and would love to introduce someday soon!
Which movies (by people who liked this movie) do you plan to select ?
  • (1) Their highest ranked movies?
  • (2) Their most voted-on movies?
  • (3) Movies they rate much higher than the average Criticker user (but still below [1]) ?

Pesonally, I would favour the last method.
In this case a film with an average percentile of 10% (of all users) but an average percentile of 40% among "people who liked this movie" would get recommended (even if "people who liked this movie" rank other movies higher, but with a lower difference from the average). This would ensure that on a horse-film page other horse-films are recommended and not just very popular movies, like Forrest Gump.

I hope my convoluted explanation is still understandable?
If not, let me know and I'll try to explain it differently.

Mist600
0 Ratings

Livelove's option #3 - good idea if possible

Post by Mist600 »

Yes, livelove, good idea
& I understand what you are saying just fine.

:arrow: Support livelove's idea #3 - "People who liked this movie, also liked" should list the 5-10 movies that the reviewer scored 33%+ (?) higher than the whole Criticker user-base average.

Anyone got a better idea how to do it?

If not, I think livelove has got it sorted. 8-)
Last edited by Mist600 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

I was so tired ... I'm glad you understood my explanation nevertheless.

Mist600 wrote: :arrow: Support mpowell's idea #3 - "People who liked this movie, also liked" should list the 5-10 movies that the reviewer scored 33%+ (?) higher than the whole Criticker user-base average.
Anyone got a better idea how to do it?
If not, I think livelove has got it sorted. 8-)
Mathematically, it's not that difficult. The "average percentile" (of all Criticker users) is already calculated and displayed for each movie. This average percentile would have to be compared to the average percentile of "people who liked this film" for the movies they ranked. The movies with the biggest difference should be displayed, IMO, regardless of how well this movie fares for everyone (which, after all, is the point of this function).

I like your number of 33%.

There shouldn't be a guaranteed minimum of films that are displayed in any case, i.e. if there are just 3 films that meet the criterion of exceeding the +33%, then only these 3 films get recommended (instead of e.g. also recommending further films with only, say, +7%).

Rationale: The idea is that the function stays meaningful and only recommends films which are clearly (not only slightly) ranked differently than the average.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »