Increased Actors Per Film

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
saudade
24 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Increased Actors Per Film

Post by saudade »

I would much prefer no limit. When the cast is billed in order of appearance on IMDb, the limit forces users to pick and choose which actors most deserve inclusion in their opinion. Sometimes larger roles are excluded for smaller roles by more well known actors. Sometimes it's simply first-come, first-served. When you haven't watched the film you're submitting (often the case), it's easy to get it wrong. Also, the 'Filmmaker List' would be heaven with a complete database.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Yeah, I would love for this to be implemented, too.

lisa-
192 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

make sure that if there is no limit, you can minimise the possibly giant list of actors!

saudade
24 Ratings

Post by saudade »

lisa- wrote:make sure that if there is no limit, you can minimise the possibly giant list of actors!

Yes, definitely.

I think the 'more' link that iceblox suggested would do. A store doesn't have to crowd the display window to be well-stocked, after all.

Bullt
0 Ratings

Post by Bullt »

I'm opposed to no limit idea, but I'm ok with 20 or 15 credits.
If there is unlimited slot for actors, there would be thousands of actor which have only one movie and searching for actors would be nightmare like imdb

Ceekay19
0 Ratings

Post by Ceekay19 »

Just realized today that there is a limit at all. Would also appreciate an increase to at least 20. I can see the reasons why having unlimited slots might be bad, but for movies with a huge cast of well known and talented actors 12 just isn't enough.
The 'Filmmaker List' statistics page would also greatly benefit from it.

livelove
0 Ratings

Post by livelove »

saudade wrote:I would much prefer no limit. When the cast is billed in order of appearance on IMDb, the limit forces users to pick and choose which actors most deserve inclusion in their opinion. Sometimes larger roles are excluded for smaller roles by more well known actors. Sometimes it's simply first-come, first-served. When you haven't watched the film you're submitting (often the case), it's easy to get it wrong. Also, the 'Filmmaker List' would be heaven with a complete database.
+1 for each single point

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

I think this is a good idea, right now the list is at the submitters discretion and some people cherry-pick based upon their preferences, which doesn't always match who has the most screen time or who's most recognizable.

CosmicMonkey
160 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

I like the idea of a limit personally, while it is sometimes annoying when an actor in a minor role is left out of the criticker database, it's far less annoying than when looking through an actor's filmography and finding every single bit role and cameo they've had in their careers like on imdb. It's even more annoying when it comes to television shows with hundreds of episodes. Limiting it only to the major roles easily filters only the important works in an actor's criticker filmography, and I fear the loss of a limit would essentially render the film-maker average section on criticker meaningless. However, I would strongly support an increase to the limit for television shows. Ensemble or anthology series like The Wire, Fargo or Black Mirror can have upwards of literally 40 or 50 major characters over the course of their runs and the 12-actor limit really doesn't do them justice.

Personally, when I upload a film I only include the actors included on the billing block at the bottom of the film poster. This essentially limits it to the actors the distributors themselves deem important, generally just the major roles or bigger stars in other minor roles. Likewise, when I upload television series I only include actors that got billing during the title sequence or appeared in atleast 50% of the episodes.

knives
Ratings

Post by knives »

Also increasing the director limit would be nice. There are several omnibus films where directors aren't mentioned because of this.