IMDB id's

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
JonSmith
153 Ratings
Your TCI: na

IMDB id's

Post by JonSmith »

Why does the movie/tv side of things operate with imdb id's when there's plenty of other databases? Why isn't it like the game side where there is no id to enter?

td888
0 Ratings

Re: IMDB id's

Post by td888 »

Why not? IMDb is/was the defacto movie standard website when criticker was incorporated.

It makes sense to use their Id to identify a movie.

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

I just find it weird that it's still an essential part of Criticker when some titles aren't on imdb but are on letterboxd for example or other databases. That and sometimes imdb has errors.

In fact, for a show I wrote the summary for, they put it with another show on their website... even though it's two distinct shows.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

I think you're both right. IMDb should be the default database, and IMDb IDs should be mandatory for new Criticker submissions that do have IMDb IDs, but a listing there should not be a requirement for submission to Criticker. IMDb has gone to shit since the Amazon re-branding and especially introduction of original content, and it's very difficult to get new submissions and corrections to existing listings approved.

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

That's what I was trying to get at. IMDB isn't as great as it used to be.

amazedemon
25 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

Personally, I quite like having the IMDb tag. Simply for the reason that it makes comparing/ matching data to other sources much easier than using the title of a film.
Perhaps encouraging the field is filled, but having a option available if the title isn't present on IMDb is a better option than getting rid of or replacing it all together.

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

That does seem like a reasonable approach.

In another post, one idea that I mentioned was having fields for more than one database. If a title is on IMDB we can link that if not, we can link something else.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

This is insane. Now you're both unnecessarily crossposting to each other's crossposts in both of these threads.