imdb id's

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
JonSmith
153 Ratings
Your TCI: na

imdb id's

Post by JonSmith »

I think I may have written this in the wrong section the previous time. But, I was wondering if it's possible to implement what was mentioned here : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8564

I would look at the discussion linked before reading anything below.

At this point I think the imdb id's are more of a hindrance than something helpful on the TV sign of things. I've had to change edits the admins made once they approved the submission because they based the "correction" on imdb, when imdb was wrong. It's happened too many times to count now. That and a lot of titles are not on imdb at all but are present on other databases.

The alternative is when making a submission one could list a link to at least two databases. That would show that the title really does exist and it removes the problem some users have with imdb id's. If an imdb id is available a user can also add it like a previous user mentioned.

Alternatives to imdb include Wikipedia, Trackt, TheMovieDB, TVDB, MyAnimeList, TV.com, ANN, etc. (essentially where people get their summaries, since those are databases too).

mpowell
1 Ratings

Re: imdb id's

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for the suggestion! We'll consider it, but I can't promise that it will be implemented -- I do understand the benefit of having two sources for validation, but there is an ease to having a single source of truth which makes moderation a lot easier. But I've added this to our list for enhancement ideas to consider!

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

It's just that imdb has not been the same for a while, be it errors or missing titles. I'm not the only user who's mentioned this.

It takes ages to add stuff to imdb or correct mistakes they made. Here's a comment by another user in the previous thread :
[on imdb], it's very difficult to get new submissions and corrections to existing listings approved.
Also, removing the requirement of imdb ids, also helps make the site more uniform, since we don't need id's for the games and I don't think there's been an insane amount of errors. Things seem to be alright there.

Ultimately like I mentioned previously, I just find it weird that it's still an essential part of Criticker, since the gaming side doesn't operate that way and since some titles aren't on imdb but are on letterboxd or other databases.

amazedemon
25 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

Personally, I quite like having the IMDb tag. Simply for the reason that it makes comparing/ matching data to other sources much easier than using the title of a film.
Perhaps encouraging the field is filled, but having a option available if the title isn't present on IMDb is a better option than getting rid of or replacing it all together.

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

That does sound like a good idea.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

This is insane. Now you're both unnecessarily crossposting to each other's crossposts in both of these threads.

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

The other one was a mistake honestly. This was supposed to be the thread since the other one wasn't even posted in the right section.

I shouldn't have replied there tbh.

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

So yeah, sorry about that.