Different types of recommendations

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
li0li
429 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Different types of recommendations

Post by li0li »

So, I was playing through some old NES games and I thought 'I wonder how many NES games I've actually played'. What if you could see the percentage of total NES games you've completed? And what if you could sub-divide by genre, so you could see all the Gameboy platformers you've yet to play?

That might be bit niche, but what if, after you rate a game, you could get a list of high PSIs in that or a similar category. eg, you just rate Mega Man on GB, and then above the profile of the game you just reviewed it says 'Check out these other Gameboy and/or Run-and-Gun games, which have a high PSI'.

Personally I would love to be able to dive into recommendations much more. As it is, I usually just get recommended the same games over and over which I'm probably never going to play.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Re: Different types of recommendations

Post by iconogassed »

It's actually very easy to do just about everything you want to do.

- Under "Explore", go to "Full Database"
- Filter by "Platform"
- Here you can see all titles for a given platform on Criticker, how many of them you've rated, and even get many recommendations by clicking "sort by PSI". You can do this to generate recommendations for any kind of game or movie you want.

Sub-filtering is not available yet, but the site brass have said they hope to implement a feature that will allow you to compare and filter by multiple collections at once.

li0li
429 Ratings

Re: Different types of recommendations

Post by li0li »

Thanks, that was one part of what I wanted, but there's a few other things I listed which I think would be great.

- A percentage listed somewhere of how many games of a certain type you've played. Eg. 22% of all NES games, 32% of all GBC platformers. Kind of like gamification or achievements, so when you finish a review, when the page reloads, there will be a little notification or something saying 'you've played 30% of all 2020 Steam FPSs on the system'. And there could be a page where you could see all your stats.

- On that stats page then, and/or when you reload after you've rated a game, you could see games in that category that you've yet to play. eg. 'Thanks for rating Super Mario Bros, here are some NES platformers you've yet to play'. So it would be like recommendations, but they would pop up after you've rated a game also, kind of like how Amazon has that 'Customers who bought this also liked...' section. So you rate League of Legends, then when the page reloads, there's a thing at the top saying 'Similar Games: ' then it lists DOTA, etc.

I think part of what I'd like is a bigger visible database. I tried your suggestion with all the consoles I own but only got 2 pages of platformers. I'm sure there are a lot more platformers out there but I guess server size or something stops me seeing them, which is a shame, but maybe unavoidable.