Why do Movies have more ratings?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
JonSmith
153 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Why do Movies have more ratings?

Post by JonSmith »

So, I was wondering why do Movies simply have many more ratings than TV shows. It happens even when we compare mainstream shows to normal movies. Why is there just more activity when it comes to movies? I'm honestly wondering.

iconogassed
29 Ratings

Re: Why do Movies have more ratings?

Post by iconogassed »

TV shows were added to Criticker years into the site's existence. There has simply been much less time and opportunity to rate them.

Rating TV shows is also different and probably "harder", as the quality of a show during its run, even a one-season show, will obviously vary much more than a film on average.

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

Ah that explains it. Thanks for the explanation.

Velvet Crowe
1137 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

TV Shows? Try comparing that to games! :?

JonSmith
153 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

I feel like the gaming side has taken off recently, maybe that's just me. But, yeah even mainstream games don't have enough ratings for a histogram.

CosmicMonkey
160 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

The site was launched with movies in 2004. TV shows were added in 2015, Video Games in 2018.

BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

The reason for me is I don't normally rate something unless I finish it. So if I watch 3 episodes of a show then quit, I'll never rate it. I finish almost every movie I start watching (because movies are so much shorter and also because I simply like movies more than TV), so I'm much more likely to rate a movie than a show. Third, I can appreciate the full spectrum of movies, like bad movies, mediocre movies, low budget movies, filler movies, etc. whereas I tend to only enjoy the best of the best when it comes to TV. I want to watch the best TV shows only. This means I basically almost never watch TV anymore.