Cruella

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Cruella

Post by Stewball »

I imagine the casting call for this had 'em lined around several blocks, and I'm pretty sure they got it right. She's one of my faves to begin with, and it does look intriguing.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/16/emma-ston ... z2FJlz4DK4

Velvet Crowe
1137 Ratings

Re: Cruella

Post by Velvet Crowe »

I would hope it's nowhere near as bad as Maleficent. Seems like Disney likes to gets its jollies off in portraying its classic villains in a positive light, and thus far it hasn't been too enthralling.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Velvet Crowe wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:33 am
I would hope it's nowhere near as bad as Maleficent. Seems like Disney likes to gets its jollies off in portraying its classic villains in a positive light, and thus far it hasn't been too enthralling.
Yeah, if they try to cure her evil soul, or worse, turn her into a saint, I'm gonna demand my money back. Solitary confinement at the bottom of the Marianas Trench straddling a lava vent is too good for her. Salvation is not possible for anyone who mistreats puppies.

CosmicMonkey
160 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Stewball wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:02 pm
Velvet Crowe wrote:
Yeah, if they try to cure her evil soul, or worse, turn her into a saint, I'm gonna demand my money back. Solitary confinement at the bottom of the Marianas Trench straddling a lava vent is too good for her. Salvation is not possible for anyone who mistreats puppies.
I am in 100% agreement with this.

Obdurate
1360 Ratings

Post by Obdurate »

Stewball wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:02 pm
Velvet Crowe wrote:
Salvation is not possible for anyone who mistreats puppies.
Truer words will never be spoken.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Ignoring the laughable trailer and no doubt awful movie this will be, did the executives greenlighting this really believe it would be be anything except a massive bomb? I don't understand the thought process here at all.

Not that it matters now, anyways. The coronavirus has killed Hollywood.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:46 pm
Naw, they were already moving into the transformation to multiple formats, streaming, theatger and whatnot. But yeah, the theater experience will be drastically cut, multiplex to quadraplex or something. But it'll have it's niche as well, blockbusters, dinner and a movie, etc. I can always hope, though, this will be the death knell for the superhero/monster genres which dead horse has sprouted a form of living plant scum that eats little shop of horror vines for breakfast, then emits a stench that attracts audience members who follow it and become superflies--flash forward 100 years to a picture of an Earth that's black with flies.

And I take that back about the multiplexes, there will always be an endless stream of mindless horror (correction, plain horror, that it's mindless goes without saying), enough to bring back double and triple-features.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:07 pm
ShogunRua wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:46 pm
Naw, they were already moving into the transformation to multiple formats, streaming, theatger and whatnot.
Streaming by itself doesn't make nearly enough money. You can justify a $10-$20 million picture for a streaming platform, but that's about it. A $200 million production like Wonder Woman 1984 can't make nearly enough money back, and lost tens of millions of dollars when released for HBO Max. Notably, no one else has tried to release a big budget movie on a streaming platform since.

And it's not like they can hold out for an eventual return to theaters. They're all posting multi-billion dollar losses and will soon go the way of the dodo, all plexes included, especially since the wall between theater and home release Hollywood had worked so hard for so many decades to erect has been ripped down.

Who is going to pay $15+ to watch a Hollywood movie at these places, possibly while having to wear a mask, while watching a shit-ton of idiot trailers when they can get similar picture quality on the glorious, HD/Blu-ray, giant flat-screen TVs at home with more comfort for less money? Oh, and that's assuming these theaters ever get back to full capacity.

And without the big blockbusters making hundreds of millions of dollars worldwide, what's the fucking point of Hollywood to begin with? What purpose does it accomplish? What's the point of studios?

Hollywood and theaters are as dead as a doorknob, and in its place, we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

They said TV was gonna put Hollywood out of business back in the 50s. There's too many moving parts. WW84 is a real bad example, or actually a good example of Hollywood going lax and assuming good return for uninspired content. If they can't get a descent return for streaming, they'll resume the blockbuster/multiplex exclusive releases, forcing better quality control of content. Streaming now is what the international market and DVDs used to be, a growing secondary market that adds a cushion to the initial release numbers. They still have control over when something is released and where. A good test will be Top Gun 2. They chose for it to ride the Covid out in the drawer. Yeah, they'll take a hit because of the delay, but once we're past this mask BS, things should loosen up big time, if they time it right.

One innovation that will probably move from streaming to theaters will probably be title specific ticket pricing, which will be another incentive for the industry to move away from this creativity rut they mired themselves in--let the "leave their souls at the door crowd" to pack the theaters with the $3 Godzilla vs. Kong and the like, while going for $15-50 for Gladiator 2, or even, God forbid, a completely new and thought worthy sequel like "Cruella".

Speaking of which, this is the most spine-tingling, killer trailer I've seen in years. Hell, it could put Connie Francis back on the charts. The one thing it tells me is, I'm certain they're not going for her redemption. (And if there's anything out there that's hype-worthy, "Avatar" could single-handedly bring back genuine serials, instead of propped up sequels--and as before, its political correctness notwithstanding). Mark May 28th on your calendar:

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olUrVijjTIM[/YouTube]

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:08 am
They said TV was gonna put Hollywood out of business back in the 50s.
Literally no one said this.

What they did say is that television was a serious competitor to the movies, and may reduce their monster profits. And guess what? They were right! The glory days of the studio system putting out a cheap 80 minute romantic comedy, attaching a big star or two to the production, and rolling in dough would be a thing of the past. Movies became more expensive and this was one of the reasons the producer-driven studio system, complete with contracts for actors, went away.
WW84 is a real bad example, or actually a good example of Hollywood going lax and assuming good return for uninspired content.
Yeah man, massively successful blockbusters like The Justice League (2017) were just so damn inspired, right?

How did you type this with a straight face?
Yeah, they'll take a hit because of the delay, but once we're past this mask BS, things should loosen up big time, if they time it right.
1. Things aren't going back to "normal". Not how you know them, anyhow.
2. By that time, tons of movie theaters will be out of business.
3. You've just conditioned the viewing public to stay home for over a year and expect new movie releases in the comfort of their own homes. Good luck reconditioning them to pay $15+ per ticket for the privilege of endless, shitty trailers, inferior chairs/couches, bad viewing angles, obnoxious assholes talking during the movie, etc. It ain't happening.
Speaking of which, this is the most spine-tingling, killer trailer I've seen in years. Hell, it could put Connie Francis back on the charts. The one thing it tells me is, I'm certain they're not going for her redemption. (And if there's anything out there that's hype-worthy, "Avatar" could single-handedly bring back genuine serials, instead of propped up sequels--and as before, its political correctness notwithstanding). Mark May 28th on your calendar:

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olUrVijjTIM[/YouTube]
Do you work for the film's production or something? I laughed several times reading that.

For a slightly more sober perspective, ironically by a guy called "The Critical Drinker", watch this;