Hi. New here. How to get better Criticker recommendations?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ruinashiro
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Hi. New here. How to get better Criticker recommendations?

Post by ruinashiro »

I rated 105 movies/shows yesterday and almost all the recommendations I am getting are irrelevant. Is this normal?

I added a number of films from directors but those directors' other films are never recommended.

I added my absolute favorites with 95-100 scores but after reloading the recommendations page probably 50 times, not a single other absolute favorite showed up.

I added films with sequels and the sequels were never recommended.

I added films with an actor I like and other films he is in were never recommended.

Do things get better with many more ratings added or what?

Thanks!

JakeAesthete
0 Ratings

Re: Hi. New here. How to get better Criticker recommendations?

Post by JakeAesthete »

Hi. Criticker "recommends" films by predicting the score the algorithm thinks you'd give it. Just taking a glance at your ratings the first thing I'd say is that you need to rate more films and give them a broader spectrum of "tiers". For example, right now a film you gave an "83" to is in the "bottom" red tier, although you probably like that film, right? You can fix this by rating more movies you dislike, giving them low scores, so the tiers begin to match up with your actual taste. The more movies you rate, the more accurate the algorithm becomes (ideally I'd try to rate every movie I've seen). You can also customize the colored tiers from a tool on your home page. I hope the way I'm explaining this makes sense?

ruinashiro
0 Ratings

Post by ruinashiro »

Thanks for that advice. I will keep at it then.

BadCosmonaut
0 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

Read this explanation of how the recommendation engine works. It doesn't look at factors like genres or similar movies or sequels or other movies featuring star actors.

Try to rate every movie you've ever seen that you can remember well enough to rate, then if you want you can pay for a one time PSI regeneration ($1.50) or subscribe for a month ($5) to have the database completely regenerate your TCI and PSI.

AFlickering
287 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

the criticker algorithm is basically useless until you've rated 200+ films IMO, kind of plucking that number out of the air but it feels about right. 1000ish is when it started to get eerily accurate for me, but it's still useful with less--even on the games site where i have slightly under 300 ratings, my PSIs seem to be pretty helpful. the more info it gets, the more accurate it becomes. it's the best recommendation/rating prediction system on the internet in my opinion but not until it has a pretty big sample size to work with.

one little strat i would recommend is downrating some bottom of the barrel TV shit to balance out your scale if you feel that you've seen more stuff you like than dislike.

another thing nobody's mentioned so far is the "films in common" toggle. if you click 'update your personal information' you'll find the "films in common minimum" box which you can play around with, this removes users from affecting your PSIs if they have less than a certain percentage of films in common with you. i have it at 13% as i've found that to be about optimal for me personally, but if i had less ratings i'd probably have it higher. the function of this is to stop the algorithm from treating users as compatible from too small a sample size; if user A agrees with user B 80% of the time but they've only seen 5 of the same movies, that's kind of meaningless, and the 'films in common minimum' will filter out such users until user A and user B have shared enough movies for the algorithm to better understand their compatability.

MustUnsee
0 Ratings

Post by MustUnsee »

I think the quickest way to give the algorithm a sense of your taste, is to rack up more ratings here:
https://www.criticker.com/films/?filter=uzor

Go through a couple pages of the most commonly seen movies and rate away. It helps to tell the algorithm you're the kind of person who loved Fight Club, but hated Se7en, but kind of liked Inception. I'd rate at least 100 more. Plus if you click the number or "+" to the right of a title, it brings up a little box so you can rate at lightspeed.