What is this Criticker Watchlist?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
mpowell
1 Ratings
Your TCI: na

What is this Criticker Watchlist?

Post by mpowell »

A lot of you have already noticed a new change to Criticker -- the Watchlist. This is not exactly new functionality, but new terminology; really, it's just a renaming of the Wishlist.

We rolled this out a little earlier than we should have. To tell the truth, we weren't quite ready for it to go live, and hadn't prepared any communication. The change was actually meant to be part of a later release.

Historically, we've had two types of system collections, which more or less did the same thing: Wishlists and Remembered Films. As we work toward redesigning the site, we wanted to simplify things, and replace both with the Watchlist.

If you already had a "Criticker Wishlist", and you don't yet have a Watchlist, your collection will be renamed.

If you already had a "Criticker Wishlist", and now you also have a Watchlist, you can choose to merge the Wishlist into the Watchlist (using a utility on your Criticker Profile). Or, you can keep both. In that case, your Wishlist will become a regular, private collection.

The same will apply to "Remembered Films".

We apologize for the confusion this created, but think having the single collection from now on will make the site a lot easier to navigate. And of course, you can continue creating and maintaining as many other collections as you want!

stoickov
0 Ratings

Re: What is this Criticker Watchlist?

Post by stoickov »

I can see in my profile page both the merging links, but I don't have access to my Wishlist nor Remebered list.
Edit: Actually those links are not valid (https://www.criticker.com/profile/#)

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

stoickov wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:53 pm
I can see in my profile page both the merging links, but I don't have access to my Wishlist nor Remebered list.
Edit: Actually those links are not valid (https://www.criticker.com/profile/#)
This should be working for you now! Thanks for pointing out the problem -- there was a mistake made with some of the users who've been with us the longest, but I think we've got it corrected. Your Wishlist is now your Watchlist, and you should see a link to (optionally) merge your Remembered Films.

stoickov
0 Ratings

Post by stoickov »

Kind of works, thanks.
But shouldn't be the list cleared of already seen movies?

snallygaster
0 Ratings

Post by snallygaster »

Seems like a good idea.
The little "check out your..." submenu on the profile page still has a link to the remembered list rather than the watchlist.
I agree that the ability to have films automatically remove themselves from the watchlist when they are rated would be nice.

90sCoffee
21 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

stoickov wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:21 pm
Kind of works, thanks.
But shouldn't be the list cleared of already seen movies?
Yes this isn't working correctly and don't think it was necessary as I don't see any new functionality. I 'merged' my watchlist/wishlist and now on the new watchlist, it shows "You've rated 607 of 3.5k" titles which means it did not do it correctly because I almost always remove a movie from my wishlist when I rate it and only a few movies on my wishlist had ratings so the correct number should show something like "You've rated 5 or 10 of 2.9K" titles. So basically I have to manually go in and remove all those 607 movies from the list which I wouldn't have needed to do if it had been left as it was.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for these notes -- you're right that the "watchlist" should autoremove titles once you've seen them. And that's actually what happens when you rate a title.

However, for the "merge" of the Wishlist into the Watchlist, this isn't a check we did. We'll go through and make sure that's looking correct for everyone, removing any seen titles from the Watchlist.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

The Watchlists have now been cleared of any rated titles! And any time you rate a title from now, it will be auto-removed from your Watchlist.

Thanks again for your patience while we fixed this up!

brell
Ratings

Post by brell »

I just found and merged my remembered list with the watchlist, but it does have all of my rated films on it as well--just a heads up that this is still an issue for some of us!

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

I've fixed this up for you, and we'll be modifying the merge utility to do it automatically for future merges! Thanks for letting us know :)