mst3k movies listed?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
Luna6ix
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

mst3k movies listed?

Post by Luna6ix »

so i was thinking, are mst3k movies allowed on the site? as a seperate movie from the original?

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Re: mst3k movies listed?

Post by cagedwisdom »

Probably not, as mst3k is actually more of a tv show and each episode is a single episode in the show.. That might be an interesting feature though.

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

i figure that mst3k has just as much of a right to be on the site as masters of horror (which is listed on criticker), masters of horror is also a tv show.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Luna6ix wrote:i figure that mst3k has just as much of a right to be on the site as masters of horror (which is listed on criticker), masters of horror is also a tv show.

Um, no it isn't. The films which were released as episodes of the TV show Masters of Horror were given the alternate title of "Masters of Horror" to signify that they were part of that TV series. They are actually made-for-TV films which aren't actually considered television episodes.

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

copied from imdb:

"Masters of Horror" (2005) (TV series)

note that it says, and i quote "tv series"

also copied from imdb:

Cast (Series Cast [7])
Karen Austin ... Mom / ... (2 episodes, 2005)
J. Winston Carroll ... General / ... (2 episodes, 2005-2006)
Miho Ninagawa ... Naomi Saito / ... (2 episodes, 2006-2007)
Anthony Harrison ... Detective (2 episodes, 2005-2006)
Diego Martinez-Tau ... Actor / ... (2 episodes, 2006-2007)
Angela Case ... Bikini Girl / ... (2 episodes, 2006)
Juan Carlos Velis ... Dude (2 episodes, 2006)

Note that it says, and i quote "episodes"
i've seen several of the masters of horror episodes, and i concluded that if masters of horror isn't a tv show, then neither is "the outer limits" or "the twilight zone", nor any other tv show which doesn't have a regular cast or director--of which there are many.

also i have a quote from the masters of horror website "buy the masters of horror episodes now!"
maybe i would believe you if perhaps the actual website from the show didnt claim that masters of horror has "episodes", it also says "season", as in seasons of a tv show.

from wikipedia:

Masters of Horror is an informal social group of international film writers and directors specializing in horror movies and an American television series created by director Mick Garris for the Showtime cable network.

wikipedia also goes on to list the "episodes" of the "tv series"

so could you tell me exactly who are you quoting when you say: "They are actually made-for-TV films which aren't actually considered television episodes."

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

me, two posts ago wrote:The films which were released as episodes of the TV show Masters of Horror

Do I need to post it a bit bigger or...? I GET that it's a TV show. "Mystery Science Theatre", or whatever it's called, is a television show. Does it feature movies in it? Yes. Are the show's episodes in and of themselves "movies"? No. Because they are produced as TV shows and feature television footage. "Masters of Horror" is a television show, but the so-called "episodes" of it are not "episodes" in any traditional sense they are actually films produced for a television show. There's a difference.

And anyway, the movies featured in the TV show are either already submitted to Criticker or can be submitted easily here.

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

what exactly is a traditional "episode", then. because the outer limits had nearly the same premise as masters of horror (hour long completely different stories centering only on a genre).

my original point was to say that mst3k episodes are fundementially different from the original movies that they feature, and since it's format is an hour and a half and each episode is a stand alone episode, meaning you dont need to watch everything that came before to get it. i argue than that we should view mst3k as a series of movies not unlike the young indiana jones movies that are featured on this website or masters of horror.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Luna6ix wrote:what exactly is a traditional "episode", then. because the outer limits had nearly the same premise as masters of horror (hour long completely different stories centering only on a genre).

As long as it's like a Masters of Horror episode, wherein the entire thing is a film, then I don't see why it should not be on here. But if there is anything at all in said episode that was not produced as a motion picture, except maybe the short opening sequence, then it does not classify as a singular movie. I have only seen one episode of this "MST2000", but from what I saw it did not consistent entirely of footage already filmed for the purpose of being a movie, it seemed to be a television series that features movies for the purpose of mocking them.

my original point was to say that mst3k episodes are fundementially different from the original movies that they feature

Well yeah, that's simply because it's a TV show which sets out to make fun of the movies it features. If the movies themselves didn't take themselves somewhat seriously then no one would need the show in the first place. Again, irrelevant.

and since it's format is an hour and a half and each episode is a stand alone episode, meaning you dont need to watch everything that came before to get it. i argue than that we should view mst3k as a series of movies not unlike the young indiana jones movies that are featured on this website or masters of horror.

I would argue that this is enough to warrant an inclusion on this website, considering how many movies that fit this particular description are currently included in Criticker's database, but again, if it was footage produced for TV then it doesn't fit under the category of "films".

Luna6ix
0 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

for things like this i think we should have a set/written rule that is clear and precise, and horrormaster's whole footage produced for tv arguement simply wouldnt cut it, as that would classify a movie out of anything someone down the line said "hey were making a movie". there needs to be something about ACTUAL characteristics of a movie/tv series that sets it aside for our classification purposes AND NOT intent, to say something was produced as a film doesnt actually detail anything about its appearance it simply tells me what the film makers intent was.

and my point about the differance between an mst3k episode and the original movie is NOT irrelevent as it is an arguement to say that if mst3k should be listed, we should list it seperately from original said movie, even though a large amount of content is identical. for instance apocalypse now/apocalypse now redux

aside from that horrormaster, you keep evading the question what is an "episode" and all your arguements are entirely unfounded (with no evidence to back it up) if you want to post on a thread just to argue please do it in someone elses thread.

cagedwisdom
0 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Can't be bothered to read all these long posts but if I've got the gist of it an argument against is the fact that most of the footage is from other films and not made explicitly for each episode. This doesn't make any sense. There are plenty of documentaries and films where well over 50% of the footage is taken from different films entirely (for instance documentaries chronicling a director's work) with a voice over commentary for instance, that can be found on this site. Watching an mst3k episode is so much different from watching the film in question that I do think it should serve as a separate film entirely.