Films in Common %

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
Spunkie
196 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Films in Common %

Post by Spunkie »

Hmmm, you are using a scale of 40, that makes Stalker 57 in 100 scale. I'm just assuming, you have a personal distaste in the movie, but you don't feel the need to bash it and appreciate it in some respects, that's a fair rating. The system gets messed up for a user when he/she doesn't caliber it. If you polarize most of your ratings with extreme subjectivity there is no way it can work.

Personally I try to use some internal guidelines. 85+ for me is a masterpiece on its genre or purpose, I rarely rate something above 90. 75-84 are for movies that are brilliant, but falls short of masterpiece. When I read mini-reviews I realised that people rate movies they just liked with something about 75, so my system works a bit different. I use 65-74 for movies I think that are worth my while, I may not watch them again but I don't regret watching any of them. 50-64 is for decent movies, these I consider watchable, they are mostly genre movies and does their minimum job what I might expect from watching a movie, passes time even if insignificant. Below 50 starts my cinematic hell. Out of some factors a movie can go higher or below in my ratings. I may rate a movie low (but not very low), that I would otherwise consider brilliant if it has some fallacy. Abundancy is another factor, when a movie gets me thinking/feeling about a subject that is rarely dealt with that approach or is extra inventive technically it moves up.

As my ratings got numerous I had to rearrange them 3 times. During those I noticed some movies I remember well works good as a guideline when I rate similar movies. Cross comparing between those generates a working filter in the mind. Stalker may work the same way for you.

For a complete skeptic about associating my taste with numbers a few years ago I can't believe I'm doing this. But now %60-70 of the time my actual rating falls very close to my psi of the movie. That's as good as it gets. Keep in mind firstly your map of ratings generate your Tsi's, your closeness with other users. Then your psi's come.