Grindhouse

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
TheAlliance
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Grindhouse

Post by TheAlliance »

Basicly this is nothing more than a bundle/collection name for the 2 movies: Deathproof and Planet Terror, right? Because we have Deathproof, Planet Terror AND Grindhouse on Criticker, so the Grindhouse entry is more or less useless then? I believe some of you saw both movies in 1 screening? When i saw this in Belgium we only got to see Deathproof, and it was also advertised as 'Grindhouse: Deathproof' and next week is the release of Planet Terror in The Netherlands. Imdb also has the same 3 entries for 2 movies in their database, but yeah... For me it doesn't really make sense..? Can't we rename it to Grindhouse: Planet Terror and Grindhouse: Deathproof and remove the Grindhouse entry? Or am i missing something here?

KGB
0 Ratings

Post by KGB »

In some countries, 'Grindhouse' shows the two films in one screening, while in others, the two films are released separately, in their complete uncut version. That's why there's both Grindhouse and the separate films. I want to see the version that has both of them, but in cinemas... If the two films comes separately to Argentina, I'm gonna knock my head aganist the wall.

mpowell
1 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

I wouldn't be surprised if they come separately. We're in Ireland, and here they've also released them in two parts. It sucks, because they've used expanded versions in order to pad the screen time. I would much rather see condensed action -- AKA: How Tarantino & Rodriguez meant them to be seen! The reason, I've read, for the differing release strategy is double-feature Grindhouse's poor showing in the States. Americans, it seems, would rather pay money to see stuff like Epic Movie.

oread
0 Ratings

Post by oread »

No, we shouldn't rename it. There should be 3 listings to reflect the way that people view the movie. In Canada, I saw it in it's entirety (i.e. Planet Terror, Deathproof & all the fake movie trailers in their proper places); when I gave my rating on Criticker, I didn't give an average of rating the two movies singly. Instead I rated the experience of sitting in the theatre & watching both of these films, plus the trailers as a 'Grindhouse' experience.

Freder
0 Ratings

Post by Freder »

Who cares _how_ this piece of trash is released or what it's called? No matter how you slice and dice it, this movie (and the entire trend of which it is a part) is an abomination, part of what's wrong with Hollywood, pop culture and the world. It saddens me that people in other countries are watching this junk and that it probably typifies their image of America. If I wanted my sensibilities shocked and offended at this level I'd listen to more of George Bush's speechifying.

KGB
0 Ratings

Post by KGB »

It does matter, because separating them ruins the authentic Grindhouse experience. And before judging the film, I recommend you to find out what a Grindhouse is, who is Tarantino and what are the themes that round his films, and check out the word 'homage' in the diccionary. If you're there already, also check out 'cynism' and 'humour'.
No, I haven't seen Grindhouse yet, but if it's a bad film, it's not because of it's cheapness, pulp-iness, or the complete lack of any sense at all; especially not about "what's wrong with Hollywood" (and there is so much wrong out there); it will be because of lack of talent out of the filmmakers, and I really doubt that someone like Tarantino, who shows such an affection in his films, as if his films were his own children, can simply not put his best on the film. And after 'Kill Bill', I'm completely sure he can handle with an homage to anything.
So, in just a few words, I seriously doubt this is any bad. And if it is, it's obviously not because of the reasons you call it an "abomination".

Freder
0 Ratings

Post by Freder »

Gore, blood spurting everywhere, dismemberment, torture, gore, shots to the head, gore, brain-chomping, guts spilling out, horror, gore, decapitation, gore, amputation, blood, horror, torture, horror, gore, chainsaws ripping through human flesh, gore, blood, flaying, drills boring holes in people, torture, gore, horror, limbs flying around, people getting their faces bitten off, blood spurting, gore, horror etc etc etc etc etc etc etc . . .

if you _like_this kind of stuff then _you_ are a part of the problem, too. Sorry about that, Chumley. I am a creative person myself and a true-blue believer in freedom of speech, but these movies (and Tarantino is simply making fools out of the people who proclaimed him a genius on the strength of his earliest films) are seriously challenging my belief in the first ammendment. If Hollywood will not stop it with some form of self regulation, then perhaps it is time for the government to step in at last.

I know that's a slippery slope to climb, but I'm sick of dehumanizing crap like this, and alarmed at the fact that it is coming OUT of the grindhouses and into our neighborhood theaters (and, on DVD, department stores, where anyone of any age can buy it). The people who make this crap or support it with their hard-earned money should be ASHAMED of themselves. "Vile" is too soft a word. "Degenerate" does not go far enough. Even "sick" gives Tarantino and his serial-killing pals more credit than they deserve.

KGB
0 Ratings

Post by KGB »

I can point to you an endless list of brutal, full of gore and blood that are no less than masterpieces. Sure, Tarantino is aiming at best for an enterteining film, but what's so wrong about it?
What's so wrong about a self-acknowledged parody of Grindhouse films? Oh yeah, gore. I yet again refer you to the words 'cynism', 'humour', and if you're in the mood, 'irony'. I have yet seen 'Grindhouse', but I doubt it is yet another uncreative gore film, that is based on "some people are tortured". The way I see this discussion, however, we are going in rounds, so I'll better not comment this anymore. At least not until I've seen 'Grindhouse', and I can clearly and without doubt explain why is there nothing wrong with the existence of 'Grindhouse' (at least not in comparison to, let's say, films as 'Hostel 2' [which is not a Tarantino film, as claimed in every oppurtunity the film has to]).

oread
0 Ratings

Post by oread »

I have seen it & agree 100% with KGB. I _liked_ the movie, so I'm not sure what part of the problem that makes me according to Freder's post, but there it is.
Also, grindhouse-type films are over-the-top by nature & these homages in particular are less gory that the Saw/ Hostel franchises; there is also a great deal of humour, if you can appreciate it. You also keep bringing up Tarantino, but to be honest Rodriguez's Planet Terror was much more bloody (although no less entertaining). You say you are a 'true believer in freedom of speech', yet you advocate the government stepping in to put a stop to movies like this. These movies don't harm anybody, & if you have a problem watching them, then don't.

td888
0 Ratings

Post by td888 »

"true-blue believer in freedom of speech", "it is time for the government to step in at last". Are you serious? You've a choice of NOT watching or buying this movie. Also, I guess you've heard of PG/R/etc.. ratings?