An Open Letter From WATCHMEN Screenwriter David Hayter

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Melvin Smif
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

An Open Letter From WATCHMEN Screenwriter David Hayter

Post by Melvin Smif »

I came across this while surfing the net today.

http://www.hardcorenerdity.com/profiles ... st%3A40658

I did enjoy Watchmen, but hadn't considered seeing it again in theatres. After reading this letter though (and the fact my dad wants to see it this weekend having not seen it yet) I'm certainly giving it some thought. My biggest respect for the movie is how close it stuck to the source material, so much so in fact I'm afraid it may alienate those who are not fans of the original novel because it seems easy to get confused about what is happening if you are not already aware of the story. I might go see it again just so other screenwriters may give source material more of a chance in the future to carry films. Say what you will about Watchmen but they did take a mighty big chance sticking so close.

I wanted to get your thoughts on whether you think Hayter makes a good point on reviewing this movie simply to give source material more play in the future.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Re: An Open Letter From WATCHMEN Screenwriter David Hayter

Post by Stewball »

Starship Troopers ?

JooJoo
0 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

Stewball wrote:Starship Troopers ?

yeah, I like that cheesy flick but how in the hell does that fit in with the others listed.

doctor7
0 Ratings

Post by doctor7 »

I don't know, I've always liked David Hayter, no doubt for my affinity of Metal Gear Solid, but this sounds like a whiny post to me.

Is it Apocalypse Now? Is it Blade Runner? Is it Kubrick, or Starship Troopers? I don’t know yet.

I'm not quite sure to read it. Saying The Watchmen is Apocalypse Now or Blade Runner is a tall order and certainly not one for one heavily involved in it's creativity to make.

And I call tell if he's knocking Starship Troopers but I hope he's not because Starship Troopers is one of the best comedies I've ever seen and if you watch the special features and interviews with Vanderhoven this was intentional. A lot of people took it for a serious attempt at an action movie but it's really, really not.

Anyway, I haven't seen The Watchmen yet but when I read something like this before I have it makes me feel like it's bad because it needs to be defended.

Thoughtgraff
0 Ratings

Post by Thoughtgraff »

I just saw Watchmen. I have mixed feelings about it, but mostly I was disappointed. The graphic nature of the violence depicted had me nearly barfing, and I've seen 120 Days of Salo. I think the film makers alienated most of the audience that would have enjoyed this film and seen it twice. I think what we can all learn from this is: Stay true to the content of the reference material, not its compositions and time line. I think Sin City was enough to prove that a film can look exactly like a comic, but so effing what :\

*Also the soundtrack was lame...

caocao
0 Ratings

Post by caocao »

I more or less agree. I found it to be an interesting lesson in how staying true to the source material can be as much of a hinderance as a blessing. The changes they made to the ending was one of the best things they did for example. The music is another great example. Songs that were referenced in the book did not play well on the screen what so ever (other then the opening imo) and came across as forced and innapropriate to me.

Melvin Smif
0 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

Thoughtgraff wrote:The graphic nature of the violence depicted had me nearly barfing, and I've seen 120 Days of Salo.

I found the level of violence in the movie to be pretty similar to the graphic novel, maybe seeing it in real time was a bit more jarring I suppose, and actually the violence at the end was toned down from the novel. Rorshach's (sp?) origin was the only spot where it seemed enhanced at all to me.

sebby
0 Ratings

Post by sebby »

Interesting. I didn't find the violence disturbing or gory at all, and I'm the type that stays away from films like Salo because of the sickly violence.

JooJoo
0 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

sebby wrote:Interesting. I didn't find the violence disturbing or gory at all, and I'm the type that stays away from films like Salo because of the sickly violence.

Yeah, I don't know what people are talking about with this. Any gore was present in the comic, that I remember, so I wouldn't slight Snyder for presenting it [the prison bit was stupider tho]

The unnecessary fight scenes made me roll my eyes more.

carnageace
0 Ratings

Post by carnageace »

I really liked it, haven't read the book yet, I have it, but it came across quite well I thought.