The Iron lady

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The Iron lady

Post by Stewball »

OK, when it was decided that they were going to make a biopic about Margaret Thatcher, I figured uh oh, here it comes. Then when Meryl Streep got the role, I was sure something was up, especially when she was nominated by every awards group from here to Istanbul (Oscars yet to release their nominations). Then when she won the Golden Globe, I said that's is, now I'm sure they've trashed it.

But just to be sure, I went to see it today. Now I'm really confused, not only was it a love letter to Maggie, it was in the tank for conservatives, and Meryl gave the most exquisite performance of her career. I now nominate her as the best actress of her generation. They couldn't not nominate her even though all those same awards shows ignored the movie and its director (who also directed Meryl, in an otherwise excellent Mamma Mia, who was massively miscast. Perhaps this was penance.)

Anyway, it was no-holds barred pro-conservative (which weighed slightly in my final grade :roll: ), and as far as I could tell, very historically accurate. I'll be interested to hear of any such errors. Was this Meryl's coming out performance? (No, not as a lez, the conservative thing.)

10/10--a masterpiece.

Maybe now Oscar will find some (brass?) balls behind that sword and have it among the nominees for best Pic on the 24th. We'll see. I hate to see my favorite until now, The Help, dislodged from the top spot I've had it in since August, but I gotta call 'em like i see 'em.
Last edited by Stewball on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okkervil
372 Ratings

Re: The Iron lady

Post by Okkervil »

Does she die at the end? God I hope so...

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

pro-conservative and very historically accurate

Bit of a contradiction there, especially as it applies to a film about this witch.

For the record, most people in Britain consider her scum. Does the film accurately reflect that?

Does she die at the end? God I hope so...

That would be my favourite ending to a movie ever.

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Well, thanks for the well thought out input....."thought".....c'mon you know.....where you put 2 words together and they blow up. Thought so. Little light in the gulliver is we.

afx237vi
0 Ratings

Post by afx237vi »

OkkCoCa wrote:Does she die at the end? God I hope so...

It's a shame we can't star forum comments like we do mini-reviews!

I think everyone in my neck of the woods already has the bunting and the champagne stored away for the day she pops her clogs.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

tomelce wrote:

Bit of a contradiction there, especially as it applies to a film about this witch.

Funny how this "witch" oversaw a period of great British prosperity, whereas the pathetic Labor Party PMs have sent Britain straight into the shit.

Liberals can be so funny with their bias and cognitive dissonance!

tomelce wrote:For the record, most people in Britain consider her scum.

This is just factually wrong. Just like the US, Britain is very ideologically divided. So yes, the brain-dead Labor party supporters blindly hate her, while the sane British people love her.

Do most people in the US think GW Bush was scum? Half of them do. Half don't.

Do most people in the US think Obama is scum? Half of them do. Half don't.

The truth is that both Obama AND GW Bush were/are scum.

Thatcher, on the other hand, was one of the great leaders of the 20th century.

okkCoCa wrote:Does she die at the end? God I hope so...

Awesome.

Someone makes a post about hoping an old woman with a horrible disease dies, and a bunch of people join in with their support and laughter.

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen; liberals!

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

ShogunRua wrote:
tomelce wrote:

Funny how this "witch" oversaw a period of great British prosperity, whereas the pathetic Labor Party PMs have sent Britain straight into the shit.

Liberals can be so funny with their bias and cognitive dissonance!

tomelce wrote:For the record, most people in Britain consider her scum.

This is just factually wrong. Just like the US, Britain is very ideologically divided. So yes, the brain-dead Labor party supporters blindly hate her, while the sane British people love her.

Do most people in the US think GW Bush was scum? Half of them do. Half don't.

Do most people in the US think Obama is scum? Half of them do. Half don't.

The truth is that both Obama AND GW Bush were/are scum.

Thatcher, on the other hand, was one of the great leaders of the 20th century.

okkCoCa wrote:Does she die at the end? God I hope so...

Awesome.

Someone makes a post about hoping an old woman with a horrible disease dies, and a bunch of people join in with their support and laughter.

There you have it, ladies and gentlemen; liberals!

Having spent a lot of time with people from the UK I get the distinct impression that it is not a split nation on the love/hate relationship of Ms. Thatcher. In fact look at the responses from the three UK representatives so far on this board. Obviously a small grouping but the only ones defending any of her ideas or policy are people who show to hail from places other than the UK and (from the surface information) have not had to live with her legacies.

Although I don't think she is universally hated or anything pure polling numbers show she was pretty unpopular for long stretches of her service and she and her cabinet all ended up resigning if I am not mistaken.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Oh that being said I really want to see it because I think Meryl Streep is the tits. :D

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

hellboy76 wrote:Having spent a lot of time with people from the UK I get the distinct impression that it is not a split nation on the love/hate relationship of Ms. Thatcher. In fact look at the responses from the three UK representatives so far on this board.

Not just a "small grouping", but a completely insignificant one. 3 self-selecting people on a small message board devoted to a topic (film fandom) that usually draws more liberal arts people don't like Thatcher? What is this supposed to show, again?

I can find any number of message boards or comments where 20 people living in the US in a row are hating on Obama or whatever. Does that mean everyone in the US hates Obama?

No.

Hellboy76 wrote:Obviously a small grouping but the only ones defending any of her ideas or policy are people who show to hail from places other than the UK and (from the surface information) have not had to live with her legacies.

Live with her legacy? Each of the 3 members you noted are under the age of 30, and in two cases, 22. Thatcher's term as Prime Minister ended in 1990. These people were just being born, or else little babies when she ended her political service!

Thus, we can safely conclude that they're NOT speaking from any kind of personal experience, but merely political bias.

Especially when during their formative years, (starting in 1997) the Labor Party was in charge, first under Blair and then Gordon Brown. (Talk about a disaster...)

hellboy76 wrote:Although I don't think she is universally hated or anything pure polling numbers show she was pretty unpopular for long stretches of her service

So was virtually every British prime minister after WW2, Churchill included. This also includes all 4 prime ministers after Thatcher, whether they were from the Conservative or Labor Party.

Hell, David Cameron barely even took office in May of 2010 before the UK liberals all started wishing he would die. You know, just like they're doing now in this topic, towards an old woman with a heavy disease.

hellboy76
463 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

ShogunRua wrote:
hellboy76 wrote:Having spent a lot of time with people from the UK I get the distinct impression that it is not a split nation on the love/hate relationship of Ms. Thatcher. In fact look at the responses from the three UK representatives so far on this board.

Not just a "small grouping", but a completely insignificant one. 3 self-selecting people on a small message board devoted to a topic (film fandom) that usually draws more liberal arts people don't like Thatcher? What is this supposed to show, again?

I can find any number of message boards or comments where 20 people living in the US in a row are hating on Obama or whatever. Does that mean everyone in the US hates Obama?

No.

Hellboy76 wrote:Obviously a small grouping but the only ones defending any of her ideas or policy are people who show to hail from places other than the UK and (from the surface information) have not had to live with her legacies.

Live with her legacy? Each of the 3 members you noted are under the age of 30, and in two cases, 22. Thatcher's term as Prime Minister ended in 1990. These people were just being born, or else little babies when she ended her political service!

Thus, we can safely conclude that they're NOT speaking from any kind of personal experience, but merely political bias.

Especially when during their formative years, (starting in 1997) the Labor Party was in charge, first under Blair and then Gordon Brown. (Talk about a disaster...)

Yes the entire point being there are two people from the U.S. stating the accuracy and or facts of how it is Thatcher is viewed in the U.K. You yourself are 24 and not in the U.K. If the small grouping of people actually living in the country represented by this figure is insignificant, than the person who was a zygote at the time and is NOT from there would be even more insiginificant.

Also just because someone is out of office does not mean their "legacies" or policies do not linger long after. Look at the UK's mining industry. Blame Thatcher or not it was undeniably changed under her rule. So that would be one legacy, as well as privitization.