The Iron lady

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
tef
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: The Iron lady

Post by tef »

Didn't read the whole article and don't have time to respond to the whole post Stew. Let me just say that the idea that unions are the reason that our manufacturing workforce can't compete in high tech vis-a-vis China is basically insane. Even without unions, even if we had the engineers, wages would be way higher here than in China. Sorry mang. Ain't the unions.

(Note: I am not pro-union nor am I a fiscal/social/anything conservative or liberal. My chief principle, basically my only principle is to never care about anything that doesn't directly relate to me).

Stewball
0 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

tef wrote:Even without unions, even if we had the engineers, wages would be way higher here than in China.

Sorta the start of what the article was saying.

cameron326
0 Ratings

Post by cameron326 »

Well, politics aside, having just seen the film I was very disappointed. A very insubstantial film really - nothing of substance occurs that you don't get from the three minute trailer. As one reviewer put it, far too much information and not enough illumination. And I've no idea why so much of the running time is wasted following a senile and elderly Thatcher as she has flashbacks and wanders round her apartment in a nightrobe. There is so much material meaty poltical material, not to mention character study, that could have been fleshed out instead of this bizarre filler.

Yes, Streep is good but for my money not Oscar worthy. Its a brilliant imitation no doubt, but the script is so insubstantial and bland that she doesn't have enough to work with to forge a truly memorable performance. Despite her best efforts, the key political events in the film seem weightless and not particularly significant - which shows the extent to which the film fails.

In terms of the political bent of the film - rather than being overly sympathetic to Thatcher and her politics on the one hand, or overly critical on the other, the impression I got was that the film wasnt particularly interested in her politics at all - pretty bizzare given itsa film about one of the most controversial and important political figures of the 20th century.