There Will Be Blood

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
mattorama12
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: There Will Be Blood

Post by mattorama12 »

FarCryss wrote:TLDR: I am a dick but movieboy still has bad taste

Hardly makes you a dick.

My TCI with movieboy is one the highest of the regular contributors to the forum, but I actually agree with him on this one. To me, it's a T9 movie that's brought down to T5 because of how insanely boring it can be. I also don't care for Paul Dano.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

FarCryss wrote:Also: Shogun, why haven't you seen this yet? I'd be interested to hear what you think about it. I could see you going either way

With truly exceptional pictures, I want to be in the perfect mood to appreciate them. And I think There Will Be Blood has the potential to be very, very high in my all-time rankings...

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

ShogunRua wrote:
FarCryss wrote:Also: Shogun, why haven't you seen this yet? I'd be interested to hear what you think about it. I could see you going either way

With truly exceptional pictures, I want to be in the perfect mood to appreciate them. And I think There Will Be Blood has the potential to be very, very high in my all-time rankings...

I'm also curious to hear what you think. This intrigued me enough to check out your opinions on other PTA films. Unless Criticker's filtering is failing me, it seems the only PTA film you've rated here is the Mattress Man short. Have you seen any other PTA films?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

mattorama12 wrote:I'm also curious to hear what you think. This intrigued me enough to check out your opinions on other PTA films. Unless Criticker's filtering is failing me, it seems the only PTA film you've rated here is the Mattress Man short. Have you seen any other PTA films?

No. Embarrassingly enough, I have yet to watch any of PTA's features!

Then again, there are an awful lot of classics and great directors I am ignorant of. I watched my first Fellini film only six months ago. (And it was incredible) Until watching the spectacular The Long Goodbye, the only thing I had seen by Robert Altman was the wretched Popeye adaptation. PTA and especially There Will Be Blood is high on my list of must-sees, but so is Lawrence of Arabia, Unforgiven, Bridge on the River Kwai, Rashomon, Pan's Labyrinth, Doctor Zhivago, etc. and I have yet to watch any Tarkovsky, Ozu, etc. etc.

mattorama12
67 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

ShogunRua wrote:
mattorama12 wrote:I'm also curious to hear what you think. This intrigued me enough to check out your opinions on other PTA films. Unless Criticker's filtering is failing me, it seems the only PTA film you've rated here is the Mattress Man short. Have you seen any other PTA films?

No. Embarrassingly enough, I have yet to watch any of PTA's features!

Then again, there are an awful lot of classics and great directors I am ignorant of. I watched my first Fellini film only six months ago. (And it was incredible) Until watching the spectacular The Long Goodbye, the only thing I had seen by Robert Altman was the wretched Popeye adaptation. PTA and especially There Will Be Blood is high on my list of must-sees, but so is Lawrence of Arabia, Unforgiven, Bridge on the River Kwai, Rashomon, Pan's Labyrinth, Doctor Zhivago, etc. and I have yet to watch any Tarkovsky, Ozu, etc. etc.

Unless you're fortunate enough to watch movies professionally, or have been a film buff for many decades, it's impossible to have seen "enough" of the must-see films in existence (I recently worked my way through AFI's top 100 toward that goal). The point is, it shouldn't embarrass you at all. Anyway, I think you'd generally like his work as he is an extremely talented and capable director able to make films that are thoughtful, fun, and not pretentious. That's a rare trio to hit in a film, and he does it consistently.