"The Imitation Game"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"The Imitation Game"

Post by Stewball »

I didn't see this one coming. There's a lot more to it than the trailer indicates. And for the important parts it's true to the important points of the jaw-dropping history (including Turing's ultimate fate), and isn't finished until they put up all the post-scripts on screen at the end. Ultra, the code-breaking operation codename (not used in the film), was declassified in 1974. But Turing's last two papers on decrypting Enigma weren't released from the British National Archives until 2012 due to their "continuing sensitivity"--70 years later, not 50. There were several reasons for not fully disclosing the Enigma information, but I suspect the role forced on the Allies of having to play God might have been at the top of the list for wanting to maintain discretion. 9/10

PS: The packed audience I saw this with was overwhelmingly of the older persuasion, due I suspect to the
WWII period of the movie; though it seems relevant and interesting for all ages to me. That said, there was a pre-showtime bit of tech-humor aimed at the geriatric set with an ad for a "Run Pee App", where you can (pre-?) review on your smartphone the best run-time points in a movie to take a potty break. What next? I haven't checked it out but thought it'd be relevant given the cinematic theme of the forums here.

PPS:
Q: What does this movie have in common with Her?
A: AI, which goes back to the Turing Test for computer intelligence. (Though I think he was off track looking just for intelligence, and not self-aware sentience.)

PPPS: Quotes:
Alan Turing: "Are you paying attention".
(Spoken by 3 characters): "Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of, who do the things that no one can imagine."

GreenyPillar
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: "The Imitation Game"

Post by GreenyPillar »

I haven`t watched the film yet but am going to because of my interest towards Benedict Cumberbatch. I have read something about Turing, about his work...Have no doubt that Benedict have performed greatly in the film!

My website is http://bestworldfilms.com, you are welcome